Guest viewing is limited

The State Of Pickup And Nanpa

Were you able to before? If so, why did you stop? If not, why would you blame pickup?

Yes, online. However, it is a dead end in so many respects I wanted to try something new and more efficacious. Turning over a new leaf was the best way of giving myself the impetus to seriously try something as intimidating as pickup.

Yeah, ideally you'd find some peers rather than guys who are far out the other side of it. They have all degrees of success and wide variety of sticking points. Perhaps it would be good for you to look for some and post about your issues there. This has the double effect of proving that it does work with time and also possibly meeting some guys who want to go out together to do it with you. It's very hard to do this entirely on your own

More self-promotion, by any chance?

Well you also haven't been able to really explain how they are reacting to you in much detail at all. You mentioned you have difficulty reflecting. I suggested you write a journal and pay very close attention to their responses. Are you doing this? If you are unable to come up with any reflection on your interactions, how is anybody else supposed to help you? Some guys are really incapable of determining how other people are feeling or why am interaction might not have gone well. In those cases, among others, yeah getting someone who knows what they're doing and talking about to watch you can really help. If you aren't interested in coaching, perhaps you can find someone who can do that for you

That's because it is happening after the approach. If all I have to work with is an unread greeting on Line there is nothing I can get out of that, other than that something unseen happened after the approach, or there was a significant issue with the approach that completely escaped my perception.

I can tell how an interaction is going, or think I can. As I mentioned though, once they are out of sight they usually ignore or stall. Naturally, I am doing my best not to gather numbers at all but instead to make sure I'm dealing with an interested party.

So if after smoothly chatting to a girl, finding we have good rapport, proposing we meet again and exchanging contacts in order to make this happen, the interaction still fails, what is there to reflect on? She was warm, invested in the conversation, had innumerable opportunities to exit the conversation and definitely responded positively to the idea of meeting again, so I asked for contacts. And without exception they have all done this so there is not really anything I can point at as an example of an interested girl, except the odd ones who were willing to switch venues or who I met in bars under different circumstances.

I lost most motivation as it goes nowhere always. I don't know why they lose interest so consistently or why they so convincingly feign interest in the first place but it is just tedious gathering numbers (and this is no easy feat). Who knows how frequently girls will progress to the date stage with a stranger such as I, but at this point I can tell it is very infrequently. Without a practicable way of chatting easily to a very large number of girls the whole endeavour just seems barren.

There is indeed nothing I can get out of these interactions to reflect on or even report about so I can't fault you for not being able to constructively analyse them.

Perhaps most importantly, the staff are on a totally separate floor from the seating area!

I thought people here were just ignoring the staff!

More self-promotion, by any chance

It's a free forum with no monetization paid for out of pocket by guys who know and believe it works and used by guys who want to get better. Back to paranoia and skepticism I see. My entire point is for you to talk to someone who isn't me yet still does pickup... :rolleyes:

You sure know how to make people not want to help you..

That's because it is happening after the approach

No, it's not.

Food for thought?

Why is ascent's claims about online success valid but synapse and solong's claims about pick up questionable.

Seriously though ascent, your not winning me over as a person. Generally, people good with women are generally just good with people full stop and I really don't get that from you.

(Mods this is my fair and honest feedback from observation which others have noted in this thread a little less directly.)

That's because it is happening after the approach. If all I have to work with is an unread greeting on Line there is nothing I can get out of that, other than that something unseen happened after the approach, or there was a significant issue with the approach that completely escaped my perception.

1) No Such Thing as 100% Success Rate

I strikeout too and often. Comes with the territory of being a home-run hitter.

As stated, until you become more skilled at it you should expect a high strikeout rate. Out of 9 contacts, an average guy can expect just 3 to lead to dates. That's 35%. It took me a good long while to get my success percentage up to the kind of higher numbers that I enjoy now. Embrace the climb and struggle, don't expect everything to be easy.

It can be better or worse, depending on what the guy is doing. Could be 70% or 10%. You may have to thoroughly analyze what you are doing.

2) To Learn, Put Aside Your Ego

Is expectation of easy success, causing failure instead?

In Martial Arts or Baseball, many guys ASSUME they should be a bad ass or automatic experts at it, and when they are not, give up. Like many things in life, success can require effort, perseverance, and hard work.

3) Are You Really Getting It?

When I started street pickup, I was helped by my swinger pals, who were naturals. I would fuck up and have some painful strikeouts. I mean crap where I wanted to slap some of these mean arrogant chicks, but I learned how to handle it.

And I had an even steeper hill to climb than the average PUA, because we were picking up for sex orgies and swinger clubs. There were swinger parties I couldn't join, because no single guys allowed. No lady, no can join.

BUT, me watching how they were successful and analyzing what they were doing, helped me tremendously. They also critiqued and gave me advice.

To be a champ, often requires more than shadow-boxing by yourself. Going to a gym with other kick-boxers and coaches are important. And not everybody is talented in self-analysis, to the extent they can so easily see all their errors.

I can tell how an interaction is going, or think I can.

I'm questioning this. This is why having a wing-man or coach might do you a lot of good, in breaking through.

As I mentioned though, once they are out of sight they usually ignore or stall. Naturally, I am doing my best not to gather numbers at all but instead to make sure I'm dealing with an interested party.

So if after smoothly chatting to a girl, finding we have good rapport, proposing we meet again and exchanging contacts in order to make this happen, the interaction still fails, what is there to reflect on?

There is indeed nothing I can get out of these interactions to reflect on or even report about so I can't fault you for not being able to constructively analyse them.

One of the things that helped me was observing my swinger pals pull women, and observing the facial expressions and body language of the women they chose and interacted with.

I then locked this very strongly into my mind and realized later, that I had identified women who were responding authentically versus those that were faking and those just being polite.

This ONLY happened, by me being a 3rd party observer. When women are talking to you in real time and you are focusing on the conversation, there is often a LOT that you are NOT picking up. Things are flowing so fast. So a guy might not realize the women is only patronising and humoring them, being very defensive (body language), or just polite. He may ALSO not be able to pickup on authentic sexual signals by women around him or that he is choosing.

In fact, my ability to read female facial expressions and adapt my approch to it, has increased tremendously over time. Takes practice and experience too. And when you get it and understand it, you can greatly develop such abilities. And no, I'm not even the best at it, as I have a swinger pal that's scary good at reading people (expressions and body language).

Example, last Friday night and when with my date (our 1st official one), I quickly read she was sexual. I was into going about my routine conversational patterns and taking my time... When she gave me this hard to describe bored look. Probably most guys would have mistook it as rejection, but I had seen this look many times before. And over time, figured out it's meaning. It was on, and in the next minute we were tongue kissing.

Observing OTHER guys success and failures is also a great teacher, and as important as self-assessment. Had I not hung out with other guys and observe the women and flow of the interaction, I would have probably not locked on to important information.

I thought people here were just ignoring the staff!

Come on bro. Now you appear to be playing games. Staff at every place is different, design of stores are different...

Some staff wouldn't care if you set yourself on fire in front of them, and wouldn't spit on you to save your life. Others are store Nazi, running around bothering people like they have a few screws loose. Try different places, and find places good for you.

Last edited:
Food for thought?

Why is ascent's claims about online success valid but synapse and solong's claims about pick up questionable.

Seriously though ascent, your not winning me over as a person. Generally, people good with women are generally just good with people full stop and I really don't get that from you.

(Mods this is my fair and honest feedback from observation which others have noted in this thread a little less directly.)

I personally use both direct approach and online (about 35% of my dates), though I emphasize direct approach more. Online to me is more plan B or supplemental, for date stacking. I would like to have at least 3 dates for the week planned and backup in case of flakes or no-shows.

I've noticed a high correlation between success at home-runs on 1st dates and pick-up. The better the guy is in conversations and interacting with women, often the better he is doing overall.

Guys good at direct pick-up, usually have higher conversational skills and can turn on the charm more, where they don't need alternative methods as much.

But...

Online VS Pick-up

Keep in mind that online pickup is a PUA branch by itself too. Where many PUAs specialize in it particularly.

A guy can put up a really killer Online profile (even if mostly false), which creates a strong image or facade that certain types of women are attracted to. Some guys are much better at this than others.

I'm an airline pilot, doctor, rich, etc... This also appeals to the hypergamous, materialistic, or status chasers. The pictures used can be fakes, old, or simply put the person in the best light. Where their online image and persona doesn't match what they are like in real life.

Consequently and initially, this can give some guys an advantage. The woman is strongly attracted to their online persona or images, and her imagination has got carried away.

Now, many/most people can't keep this up in real life, so the woman or man is utterly disappointed when meeting them. Many guys AND women go way over their heads, where there is a huge disconnect between online image and their real life appearance and situation.

BUT, there ARE a FEW guys that can keep this image up longer; fake it better or long enough to "seal the deal" sexually. Also remember that the 1st time meeting of an online date can more likely lead to sex, versus pick-up.

In Pick-up, you are often collecting contacts, versus sex that night. Then usually have to convert the contacts to dates. The woman has more time to think you over (and her fears or paranoia might take hold), discuss you negatively with friends, etc...

In Online, you are spamming and liking for contacts, or the killer profile is pulling for you, then converting to dates. Many women are also doing online stealthily, where nobody knows what she is doing and she doesn't discuss it with friends. It's often an odd mental disconnect of various women, where they hide their online date searches, but negatively discuss and gossip about guys they meet in real life with their girlfriends.

In Online, women that don't like your profile, pass by. The imagination of the the women seeing your Online profile, can be a strong hook. When she meets you, your charm or her imagination/sexual cravings can be affecting her at that moment. She might have sex with you that night, THEN think you over later. But sex is a strong hook, especially if the guy is good at it.

So, excpetions to the rule do exist. Where a guy could be terrible at Pick-up, but great at Online 1st dates. However, I would suspect that if there is a large disconnect between both in the same guy, something is odd.

Downside Of Online

However, Online has a host of problems that direct Pick-up doesn't or has less of. Fake profiles, websites committing fraud for money, scammers, pranksters, cat-fishing, no-shows, more flakes and canceling dates at the last second, women lying about their age (huge), crazy women (that know guys would run if they knew how crazy they are), women slyly cheating on boyfriends/husbands (and not telling you), etc...

Another is randomness! Often you can't rely on getting the specific woman you want, know when you will be contacted, or be sure your date is real and will show up on X day.

Last edited:
It's a free forum with no monetization paid for out of pocket by guys who know and believe it works and used by guys who want to get better. Back to paranoia and skepticism I see. My entire point is for you to talk to someone who isn't me yet still does pickup... :rolleyes:

You sure know how to make people not want to help you..

Are you that naive or do you just expect me to be? Entirely justified scepticism under the circumstances, given your non-altruistic objectives for being here and my finding when checking out the link before that it is private and upon Googling it only your site links to the place! I'm quite surprised if it as you say it is as I would have thought a forum like that would have a public profile. JapanLair seems to be mentioned all over.

No, it's not.

True enough. No willingness to engage in further interaction is a 100% indictment of my approach's failure. But my ability to tell how well things went is based on what happens after the interaction, fait accompli though it may be. And if I cannot persuade a single person I talk to in these contexts to interact with me further, but can do this consistently and with some success online and in a few other contexts, it suggests to me the method being used may be extraordinarily difficult or ineffective rather than me just being a basket case.

It's no more valid, but as I was the one asking the question and making the claim it makes no sense for me to be sceptical of my own claim?
In any case, an order of magnitude more people seem to be meeting women online, in bars or via social circles than in general daytime situations. Personally, I've never seen a pre-meditated approach away from the station here.

This is a discussion forum, not a social network. If I was interested in stockpiling popularity on here I'd be running around fawning over regular users and liking their posts indiscriminately. Since I have no attachments here I can afford to be somewhat acerbic. The social context of the interaction means everything, a fact I only too well aware of.

1) No Such Thing as 100% Success Rate

I strikeout too and often. Comes with the territory of being a home-run hitter.

As stated, until you become more skilled at it you should expect a high strikeout rate. Out of 9 contacts, an average guy can expect just 3 to lead to dates. That's 35%. It took me a good long while to get my success percentage up to the kind of higher numbers that I enjoy now. Embrace the climb and struggle, don't expect everything to be easy.

Your point is undeniable, but you probably mean "an average guy skilled in pickup"... how long it might take to get to that point is a concern.

3) Are You Really Getting It?

When I started street pickup, I was helped by my swinger pals, who were naturals. I would fuck up and have some painful strikeouts. I mean crap where I wanted to slap some of these mean arrogant chicks, but I learned how to handle it.

And I had an even steeper hill to climb than the average PUA, because we were picking up for sex orgies and swinger clubs. There were swinger parties I couldn't join, because no single guys allowed. No lady, no can join.

BUT, me watching how they were successful and analyzing what they were doing, helped me tremendously. They also critiqued and gave me advice.

To be a champ, often requires more than shadow-boxing by yourself. Going to a gym with other kick-boxers and coaches are important. And not everybody is talented in self-analysis, to the extent they can so easily see all their errors.

No! Trying to calibrate by coming here is all I've been able to manage so far.

I can barely imagine the level of difficulty involved in recruiting a random woman for an orgy if even getting one who'll respond to texts is this hard.

I'm questioning this. This is why having a wing-man or coach might do you a lot of good, in breaking through.

Well, yes. By your standards, no I don't.
I can tell when I have zero traction and need to eject, or when I likely to be able to get a number. More than that, clueless as is obvious. I have no frame of reference for transforming one-off conversations with strangers into romantic connections.

One of the things that helped me was observing my swinger pals pull women, and observing the facial expressions and body language of the women they chose and interacted with.

I then locked this very strongly into my mind and realized later, that I had identified women who were responding authentically versus those that were faking and those just being polite.

This ONLY happened, by me being a 3rd party observer. When women are talking to you in real time and you are focusing on the conversation, there is often a LOT that you are NOT picking up. Things are flowing so fast. So a guy might not realize the women is only patronising and humoring them, being very defensive (body language), or just polite. He may ALSO not be able to pickup on authentic sexual signals by women around him or that he is choosing.

In fact, my ability to read female facial expressions and adapt my approch to it, has increased tremendously over time. Takes practice and experience too. And when you get it and understand it, you can greatly develop such abilities. And no, I'm not even the best at it, as I have a swinger pal that's scary good at reading people (expressions and body language).

Example, last Friday night and when with my date (our 1st official one), I quickly read she was sexual. I was into going about my routine conversational patterns and taking my time... When she gave me this hard to describe bored look. Probably most guys would have mistook it as rejection, but I had seen this look many times before. And over time, figured out it's meaning. It was on, and in the next minute we were tongue kissing.

Observing OTHER guys success and failures is also a great teacher, and as important as self-assessment. Had I not hung out with other guys and observe the women and flow of the interaction, I would have probably not locked on to important information.

Another set of extremely perspicacious observations about how to improve, thank you.

Concentrating on a conversation while at the same time trying to manage the environment whilst leading the interaction along keeps me overloaded as it is, observing my body language and the girl are extremely difficult under the circumstances.

Though as you might expect from someone who ended up on here in the first place, I have zero access to these kinds of observational opportunities.

I personally use both direct approach and online (about 35% of my dates), though I emphasize direct approach more. Online to me is more plan B or supplemental, for date stacking. I would like to have at least 3 dates for the week planned and backup in case of flakes or no-shows.

I've noticed a high correlation between success at home-runs on 1st dates and pick-up. The better the guy is in conversations and interacting with women, often the better he is doing overall.

I'm questioning this. The online women who will come out to see you are really heavily pre-selected for interest, and all logistics are taken care of if the guy has some idea what he is doing.

So, excpetions to the rule do exist. Where a guy could be terrible at Pick-up, but great at Online 1st dates. However, I would suspect that if there is a large disconnect between both in the same guy, something is odd.

Downside Of Online

However, Online has a host of problems that direct Pick-up doesn't or has less of. Fake profiles, websites committing fraud for money, scammers, pranksters, cat-fishing, no-shows, more flakes and canceling dates at the last second, women lying about their age (huge), crazy women (that know guys would run if they knew how crazy they are), women slyly cheating on boyfriends/husbands (and not telling you), etc...

Another is randomness! Often you can't rely on getting the specific woman you want, know when you will be contacted, or be sure your date is real and will show up on X day.

The major one: top end women simply aren't available online (possible exception being Tinder and more international type girls who have a reason to go outside their social circles), and the position of what women there are is so inflated they can expect to get away with behaving somewhat highhandedly. More knowing girls are certainly aware of this.

Also with online women there is a much higher chance the guy will be dipping below his "level" in terms of what girls he can successfully see. "Hot guy with busted looking girl = they met online"

Also with online women there is a much higher chance the guy will be dipping below his "level" in terms of what girls he can successfully see. "Hot guy with busted looking girl = they met online"

That's not necessarily true. Met up with smoking hot chick from OkCupid tonight. A definite 9 out of 10 on most scales. Model looking type woman. Also we are a 94% match, if OkC bullshit system is to be believed. I would think my almost perfect match would be hot sex, but struck out [emoji24]

We were in Shibuya, Dogenzaga. We kissed, hugged, were dirty dancy, and everything but sex. She absolutely refused going to the many hotels. Somehow she learned "hotel" magically means "slut" during her years of living in prudish parts of the U.S. Ridiculous silly anti-hotel bullshit, but no talking her out of this mindset. She didn't want me to go her place nor did I want her to come to mine. Actually, I think she was up for sex, but only back at my apartment.

I don't like bringing women back to the apartment on the 1st date, because if they are crazy, unwanted drama. Rather see how their sex in a hotel is first and check their mental stability afterwards, before bringing them home. But in her case, I regret it somewhat. She seems up for a 2nd date, so we shall see, but the "1st chance can be the last chance" with many of these fickle ladies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinapse
Are you that naive or do you just expect me to be? Entirely justified scepticism under the circumstances, given your non-altruistic objectives for being here and my finding when checking out the link before that it is private and upon Googling it only your site links to the place! I'm quite surprised if it as you say it is as I would have thought a forum like that would have a public profile. JapanLair seems to be mentioned all over.

Ok you find me untrustworthy? I'll stop wasting my time then!

Join jlair. Or rooshv (yuck). Or RSD (unrelated to Japan). Anywhere man, I really don't care. The point is - find peers who are going out and having difficulties. This will help you

And lighten up! ;)

Last edited:
This is a discussion forum, not a social network. If I was interested in stockpiling popularity on here I'd be running around fawning over regular users and liking their posts indiscriminately. Since I have no attachments here I can afford to be somewhat acerbic.

LOL! Totally understand.

Your point is undeniable, but you probably mean "an average guy skilled in pickup"... how long it might take to get to that point is a concern.

"Average guy" is relative. I look at it more in terms of how mindful and aware a man is of "the game" and if he is successful enough in his interactions with women. Some guys are "naturals" who have the charm and intuitively understand how to play the "game" with women in a winning way. The key is they are usually "winning" in interactions with women, more often than not.

In PUA, there is AFC (Average Fucking Chump), also SIMP (Someone Idiolizing Mediocre Pussy; groveling and subservient) is a related term. Guys that are completely clueless of the "game" and who women are abusing and easily manipulating.

How fast it can take a guy to be good at pickup is indeterminable. Can be amazingly quick (1 week) or years. A lot has to do with his mindset and what he can "bring to the table" when interacting with women.

1) Will he go outside the conventional framework, and how far, of how men are "supposed" to meet women and traditional dating?

Some guys are stuck in a narrow-minded traditional frame of thinking, which then makes pickup extremely difficult, and often leads to AFC and SIMP behavior.

2) Is he making himself desirable enough to attract and sexually tempt women?

This is a combination of looks, dominant behavior, hygiene, fashion, physical build, money, charm, etc... Every guy has different strengths and can win with various combinations if they score high enough.

Some guys are closer to the "tipping point" than others.

3) Does the guy understand what he is doing and the seduction process?

This is the "game". Some guys are more mindful and do a better job at seducing women than others.

Again, it's a matter of how close or how far away the guy is from the "tipping point", which will lead to him winning in interactions with women more often.

I can barely imagine the level of difficulty involved in recruiting a random woman for an orgy if even getting one who'll respond to texts is this hard.

A guy picking up for swinging will often have to go deeper into the mental processes of women and/or develop a better "radar sense" for finding viable prospects. You must also not allow yourself to be fooled by female: lies, delusions, facades, or rationalizations.

I have no frame of reference for transforming one-off conversations with strangers into romantic connections.

Which is why it may take coaching or an experienced wing-man to speed up you achieving a "break through". That, or you keep hammering away until success.

My frame of reference was watching other swingers pull women. Therefore, I KNEW it can be done. I had seen it. So then it was a matter of me understanding what occurred and replicating such successful patterns of interaction with women I was dealing with. So on that note, had I not seen it, I might have thought it "impossible" too.

I think that in your case, not having been successful and not having ever seen it successfully done, has created a mental barrier.

It's like if someone told you they can do one-arm pull-ups or a double back flip. Until you see somebody actually do it, you might think it impossible. And until you see how they physically train to do it, think it's impossible for you to do it too. A lot times people create mental barriers, that they later realize were totally unnecessary or they were totally mistaken about what's possible.

I have zero access to these kinds of observational opportunities.

Not true. You need to hang around guys that have and are successful at it. When you see other succeed, it makes it easier for you to have the self-confidence to be successful too.

...The online women who will come out to see you are really heavily pre-selected for interest, and all logistics are taken care of if the guy has some idea what he is doing.

This is true, but it's also the case for women who you meet in direct pickup and agree to dates with you. If she sees you again, this demonstrates she's interested, and if the logistics are there than success is more likely.

One of my arguments is that online dating can have more negatives than direct pickup overall, even if you are sexually successful on the date. I will address that in another post, but think of the dilemma in which women get trapped in of the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

A woman can be flooded or have so many online options, she can literally lose her mind or be so confused that she not know which guy to choose from. Literally "out play" herself as she keeps jumping to the next, then next, then next shiny boy toy. It's very common for women online to be heavily and SNEAKILY riding the "cock carousel" ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cock+carousel ) Even more peculiar, they will point the finger at men about ONS, while such women are doing far worse and at levels beyond 95% of men. After abusing and crushing a long list of men, then claiming "she can't find any good men ". "Hey lady, remember all those nice guys you crushed and threw away? You, and the other arrogant heartless chick brigade, help create the very problem that you are complaining about."

Last edited:
Reactions: jacqueh and Sinapse
Ok you find me untrustworthy? I'll stop wasting my time then!

Who wouldn't? You're out on the internet trying to drum up customers for your coaching services. Don't take it so personally.

That's not necessarily true. Met up with smoking hot chick from OkCupid tonight. A definite 9 out of 10 on most scales. Model looking type woman. Also we are a 94% match, if OkC bullshit system is to be believed. I would think my almost perfect match would be hot sex, but struck out [emoji24]

I don't like bringing women back to the apartment on the 1st date, because if they are crazy, unwanted drama. Rather see how their sex in a hotel is first and check their mental stability afterwards, before bringing them home. But in her case, I regret it somewhat. She seems up for a 2nd date, so we shall see, but the "1st chance can be the last chance" with many of these fickle ladies.

OkC's selection seems really weak, especially compared to Tinder. Glad to hear there are some decent girls on there (actually, scratch that - I dated a hot Chinese girl off Tinder who still has an active OkC profile).

But my point stands - almost all the girls on there seem to speak some English and I don't think many of them have a strong expectation of dating only Japanese guys. A hot girl looking for that has no option but to try online (similarly, if we are looking for non-Japanese girls online is the easiest way to screen for a small and geographically disparate population), whereas a regular hot girl has no reason to be online.

Japan's whole love hotel culture never sat well with me, and certainly strips you of all plausible deniability. If I can't be comfortable inviting them home I'd rather not be doing anything with them in the first place...

I think that in your case, not having been successful and not having ever seen it successfully done, has created a mental barrier.

It's like if someone told you they can do one-arm pull-ups or a double back flip. Until you see somebody actually do it, you might think it impossible. And until you see how they physically train to do it, think it's impossible for you to do it too. A lot times people create mental barriers, that they later realize were totally unnecessary or they were totally mistaken about what's possible.

Not impossible, but I think at this point we have established it is extremely difficult. I don't have any reasonable expectation of success with any girl I approach at my present level of skill.

Not true. You need to hang around guys that have and are successful at it. When you see other succeed, it makes it easier for you to have the self-confidence to be successful too.

Easier said than done. Compared to the people around me, I am "successful" it seems... most Japanese guys as you have probably seen in particular do not seem to pursue actively meeting girls.

This is true, but it's also the case for women who you meet in direct pickup and agree to dates with you. If she sees you again, this demonstrates she's interested, and if the logistics are there than success is more likely.

One of my arguments is that online dating can have more negatives than direct pickup overall, even if you are sexually successful on the date. I will address that in another post, but think of the dilemma in which women get trapped in of the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

I found online ghastly, but offline girls were at the end of the day just as flaky and difficult. The difference is the sorting mechanism - approaching vs database. And if you need massive experience or hidden knowledge to experience success approaching it is quite inaccessible. So my thinking might yet change. Best would be to master both, of course.

Japan may be lagging with all its excessively prostitution and scam focused domestic dating sites (all of them as it happens), but in places like New York Tinder and the like seem to have for better or worse created an efficient sexual market place (matching partners of equivalent sexual market value, which in practice tends to involve channeling all the casual women onto the top 20% of guys), and other localities seem likely to follow.

Physically meeting girls in Tokyo is plainly an order of magnitude more difficult than somewhere like NY (no culture of stranger contact, few socially acceptable venues to meet), so I'm sure there is a huge market. Plus it caters perfectly to the Japanese female secret reverse-harem building/serial dating tendency you point out.

A woman can be flooded or have so many online options, she can literally lose her mind or be so confused that she not know which guy to choose from. Literally "out play" herself as she keeps jumping to the next, then next, then next shiny boy toy. It's very common for women online to be heavily and SNEAKILY riding the "cock carousel" ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cock+carousel ) Even more peculiar, they will point the finger at men about ONS, while such women are doing far worse and at levels beyond 95% of men. After abusing and crushing a long list of men, then claiming "she can't find any good men ". "Hey lady, remember all those nice guys you crushed and threw away? You, and the other arrogant heartless chick brigade, help create the very problem that you are complaining about."

Absolutely agree. 90% of the one time only sexual encounters I experienced were the result of the woman refusing further meetings, usually without saying as much. Frequently blocking me without warning if they were online girls. I find this sort of thing the most taxing and least appealing aspect of dealing with Japanese girls in particular.

Reactions: Solong
There is a lot of confusion as to what exactly "PUA," game, pickup, nanpa, etc is. This post hopes to clear up a few misconceptions while making the discussion a bit more complex (in the right way). Let's begin with a few definitions.. These are just my own at the moment, other people are free to come up with their own if they like

PUA - Anglosphere practitioners of "pickup" who apply the systematic studying and testing of behaviors and beliefs on interactions with persons of romantic interest. Fundamentally a Western practice and ideology.

Pickup - Talking to previously unknown women with the purpose of finding a romantic/sexual partner.

Game - A person's effort towards getting sex or romance with another person.

Gamer - A person who proactively meets potential sexual partners and tries to improve their success

Thus, the casual guy (and every other guy) has "game" and it may be good or bad. However, he doesn't do pickup usually except perhaps at bars or clubs occasionally. A gamer also has game, which might be good or bad, but at least he's trying to improve actively.

Game and Naturals
Every guy ‘has’ game in varying amounts, ranging from “naturals” who, without studying anything, seem to just magnetically attract women to themselves. Everybody has that friend or knows that guy who somehow just seems to end up with women without any real effort on his part. To the natural, pickup seems pretty strange because he doesn’t realize that not everybody has game as good as he does.

Normal Guys
The vast majority of guys, however, don’t really have much ‘game’ at all, and just rely instead on talking to whatever girls are near them in whatever way they can. They try to make small talk, befriend the girls normally, and rely heavily on social circle introductions and women who are near them for their dating pool. They generally don’t really know what to do with an attractive woman when they get her, and thus have difficulty keeping attractive women around them. Occasionally, and often in proportion to how large their social circle is, they will get girlfriends, and sometimes - if those girls don’t have many other good options or if the guy is particularly well put-together (in terms of career, fashion, fitness, etc), those girlfriends will be quite nice. By and large these guys will end up marrying one of the first girlfriends they have, convinced their feelings are the deepest love they can have. Often, these marriages end up in cheating, divorce, or dissatisfaction, which makes sense - the guys didn’t really experiment much with what they like before settling down (remember the average sexual partners is somewhere around 10 for the modern male) and thus can’t really be sure that they married the woman because they truly liked her or because she provided them with something few other women have - sex and a relationship. Scarcity inflates value, etc etc.

Discovering "The Community"
Enough frustration and a bit of courage and entitlement, and a guy might google online how to get a girlfriend or how to talk to girls. He comes from sexual scarcity, which means that he does not have access to as much free sex as he would like. Thus, his first goal is to acquire sex. This can mean either to get a girlfriend, or just to have random casual sex with whoever is near and willing. He stumbles across pickup material, which tells him in varying ways to man up, stop sucking up to women, grow some balls and talk to women he likes proactively, and stop having horrible “small talk” conversations, among other things.

Naturals vs. The First PUAs
This is the “market” or the background forces which made the pickup community. There were a few guys, initially on forums or boards not unlike this one, who had been going out a lot and talking to a LOT of women. These weren’t naturals - because naturals aren’t really aware of their own skill or how to teach it - nor were they “normal guys” who just wanted to have their standard 10 sexual partners then get married to the tenth. They were guys who looked around at the attractive women who were walking around everywhere, and driven by desire, strove to get them.

First-Wave Pickup
The famous initial PUAs - guys like Mystery, Style, Matador, David D, Ross Jeffries, and Tyler - focused initially on “techniques”. They took up the cultural myth of the “pickup line,” the one magical line that would open the gates to the woman’s vagina. They ran with it and expanded it. They were convinced that what separated the naturals from the average guys (AFCs, or Average Frustrated Chumps), was just behavioral - if they could somehow copy the natural’s behaviors, they too would get laid like a boss. This era was the heyday of NLP, “routine stacks,” “negs,” “openers,” “DHVs,” and other similar “moves” which were deployed in certain patterns, almost like pressing buttons on a controller. And these got results, to a certain degree. A hallmark of this era was over-the-shoulder opinion openers with FTC - false time constraints (“I have to get back to my friends soon, but can I get your guys’ opinion on something..”).

The intention behind this was good. The FTC would assure the girl that you wouldn’t be hanging in there far past your welcome. The “over-the-shoulder” body language was meant to be non-threatening, as if the approach was almost an afterthought before you were on your way. The opinion opener was meant to put low pressure on the interaction, and make it so the girl could give some emotional content easily without the confrontational “accept or reject my approach” setup of most pickup lines.

And the result - to seem casual, non-threatening on the open, increase their sexuality and touchiness (“kino”) whereas before these guys were herbacious friendly beta males, terrified of touching a girl, etc etc - was overall a positive one compared to what they were doing before - which was nothing. Guys learned to own their own actions and intentions rather than be afraid of them, to go up to a girl with the “right” things to say to direct the conversation rather than terrified and making lame small talk, and make things sexual and emotional pretty quickly rather than skirt around safe, boring topics like the weather, then were taught to isolate and escalate after building comfort rather than letting the interaction fizzle out.

BUT it was (especially some of the more intense routines) manipulative and dishonest. Routine stacks and compliance ladders, “the cube,” the “Octoberman sequence” “strawberry fields” and other similar elaborate routines were all stuck together as tools in the toolkit, to deploy to shatter ice shields of cocktail waitresses or Abercrombie models, then hook them in to you like little addicts. This was the dark side, the part of pickup that left a nasty taste in the mouths of both women and normal guys on the outside looking in.

There was another huge problem with this “first wave” of pickup. It totally ignored the person - on both sides of the interaction. Namely, it was a cookie-cutter approach that any man could deploy and it would work (to a degree) on any woman. That was its appeal, but also its massive shortcoming. What you were left with was a bunch of same-night lays, and then after the smoke and mirrors clears, you are left with a girl you don’t really know that well and you’ve used up all your routines. Sure, you had sex with her, but was this really you? With no more routines left, you were there, naked and still the same guy as before you learned all this “knowledge,” in all your flaws and mostly unchanged.

Second-Wave Pickup
The “second wave” of pickup was radically different from this. The second wave was based on inner game. The idea here was that you have to master yourself and become an attractive man of value first, then get the girls. Second-wave pickup is a direct criticism of first-wave pickup, and it realized that if you merely use techniques, you are still that same unattractive guy you were before you learned the techniques. In short, the techniques are manipulation and dishonesty - using parlor tricks to seduce a girl who wouldn’t be attracted to the normal you. The focus shifted from learning “facts” and routines to self-development. The idea was everyone should be improving all the time and in all aspects of their life - first become the attractive man, then anything you say or do will be attractive.

“Openers” were exiled from the gospel and replaced with simplicity. Routines were shunned for their role as a “crutch” for weak game. Instead, guys were taught to open with simple things like “Hi” or a self-introduction and trust in themselves. They were taught to fix their wardrobe and hit the gym, meditate to center and clear their minds, eat healthy to feel better and have more energy, read books to increase their knowledge - things which will make any guy more attractive. They were told to make normal friends and pursue meaningful hobbies. And above all, they were told to gain reference experiences and take action. Through action and experience, and through changing your beliefs and improving as a man, you will get better and more high quality women. And it’s not a trick or manipulation - because there are no routines or lies, just your own self. You become naturally attractive first, then merely go up to a woman and start a non-scripted, spontaneous conversation. The amount of women you "get" is a direct result of your ability to 1. Improve yourself, 2. Convey yourself honestly, and 3. Lead the interaction forward

Japan Game/Nampa
Nampa has a long history entirely independent from Western pickup and brings with it its own cultural connotations and practice. Japanese guys have been doing it for decades, and @Dorian Gray learned pickup from nampa masters and with almost no external influence (meaning - no Western pickup material). These guys have similar but different pickup methods to Western practitioners. However, the game is much different for foreigners in Japan than it is anywhere else.

Attempts to bring first-wave PUA over to Japan failed woefully. However, Japanese nampa proved a powerful combination with second-wave pickup, which is where we now stand. Japan game remains fundamentally separate from Western pickup, and yet the ideas are starting to blend. Japan will always be a bit different from the West because we communicate from different cultural understanding, different language (often), and yet equal socio-economic position... at least when comparing countries most of us are from (a typical Japanese person is roughly the same SES as a typical Westerner). This means that unlike the 80s /90s, Westerners aren't really fetishized and you need more than to just show up to get laid.

Dorian Gray summed up the relation between culture, class, and pickup in his 2013 post “RSD: Real Social(ist) Dialectics"

Japan game is still quite different from typical Western game, and attempts to apply Western game cut-and-paste to Japan have failed many times before. The novelty factor for foreigners in general and white guys in particular has fallen off dramatically, to the degree where with some demographics and with girls who are more attractive, it can even be a disadvantage. Cultural understanding is necessary to an insane degree here. Thus, Japan game has evolved into quite a unique niche. You definitely do need tight game to succeed in Japan these days, and tight game in Japan comes down to (in no particular order):

1. Cultural awareness (language, media, phrases, customs)
2. Right Action (taking action towards talking to women who excite and interest you)
3. Reflection (being able to reflect and improve from your previous self and interactions)
4. Technical Skill (dealing with AMOGs/friends, logistics, bouncing, texting, etc)
5. Empathy and Genuine Interest (ability to understand the girl in front of you - her values, desires, and choices, being able to tell which girls you have true affinity with and which you don't)
6. Self-improvement (making youself into the best person you can be)

In contrast,

What I think would be "bad advice / techniques" would be anything that ignores the six points above I mentioned. For example (points ignored in parentheses):

-touching the girl on the street (1)
-not understanding (or trying to understand) the girl (1, 5)
-(only) waiting for girls to come to you / not approaching girls you like for any reason (2)
-Relying on any particular technique or verbal routine (3, 6)
-"Be yourself" (3, 6.. this one could be talked about a lot.. it isn't necessarily "bad" advice as much as it is incomplete)
-Wanting or claiming to have a "magic pill" (2, 6)
-Manipulating the girl (5)
-"Every hole is a goal" (2, 5)
-Berating a girl,calling her a slut or a bitch, etc (3, 5, 6)
-Do whatever necessary to have sex (5)
-"Game" isn't necessary / doesn't work (4, 6)

TL;DR, pickup is very diverse and changes depending on the agent, recipient, situation, class, culture, country, age, era, time of day, and probably any other variable you can think of.
I feel the first wave failed because of too much regurgitation. A woman wants to experience a man. She can't get that when everyone does the same thing over and over. The second wave is more successful because of customization. It is being adapted to each man giving the woman something new each time she meets a PUA. Everything from the first wave is still valid, we just need to adapt it to each of us. Saying 'personal growth' makes the art too holistic and confusing to new PUAs. Learn the tools from the first wave and adapt them to your looks and personality. Alot of the PUA instructors are pretty boys and teach a style that many new PUAs can not use. An example is the plowing teachings of the RSD will not work well for someone who has no looks. If you don't have the looks use a low key technique and focus more on emotional connections. Once the connection is made beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Online source of girls rely too much on looks. Unless you have the ideal look its a waste of time. Day game is the preferred method: no competition and you get a chance to create connection before she can put up her filters.

Reactions: Sinapse
In PUA, there is AFC (Average Fucking Chump), also SIMP (Someone Idiolizing Mediocre Pussy; groveling and subservient) is a related term. Guys that are completely clueless of the "game" and who women are abusing and easily manipulating.
And you wonder why non PUA people have an issue with the PUA crowd, when you refer to people who are not playing your "game" in such derogatory terms.

In non PUA we have the ST (smarmy twats), the EHAG (every holes a goal) and the SOSAHEG (stand outside stations and harass every girl).

I sometimes wonder if you and Sinapse are really playing the same game, as he doesn't tend to have such a negative view on other people.

And you wonder why non PUA people have an issue with the PUA crowd, when you refer to people who are not playing your "game" in such derogatory terms.

In non PUA we have the ST (smarmy twats), the EHAG (every holes a goal) and the SOSAHEG (stand outside stations and harass every girl).

I sometimes wonder if you and Sinapse are really playing the same game, as he doesn't tend to have such a negative view on other people.

Dude, stop instigating. I did NOT create the term. That should be obvious. And there are numerous other derogatory terms for mongers that must pay women to get sex. We can list derogatory terms all day, but that's not the point of the discussion.

The point is the TOPIC, not to instigate bullshit. You repeatedly jump on PUA threads to NOT discuss the topic, but to offload your emotional issues about PUA or guys that don't have to pay for sex. It's quite noticeable now. Relax, go buy a woman, nobody here that I see or myself, is trying to judge you for your habits. I'm just saying there are many options available. Come to the PUA threads to learn or discuss, not instigate. I'm sure you know the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manfreidi
Online source of girls rely too much on looks. Unless you have the ideal look its a waste of time. Day game is the preferred method: no competition and you get a chance to create connection before she can put up her filters.
That's not necessarily the case. The quality and type of picture is important too. Something many women know and exploit.

Famous examples are fat girls that only take close up pictures of their face or ugly girls that take pictures of their body, sexy pictures, or from far away. And some women even put professionally taken pictures or are masters of photoshop. Like older late 30s/40/50ish women, who touch up photos and claim to be 20ish or young 30s...

So, how a guy's profile looks and is setup can be important. Different combinations of pictures and different comments or info on his profile can lead to different results. Particularly if the guy puts job and income information, so after pictures, money and socioeconomic status often attracts women.

I mostly agree, that direct approach is usually better, because you really meet the person and establish actual chemistry. However, and particularly in Japan, it has its negatives too. Many women will act fake or are only being polite. For new PUAs, this can be very difficult, where they can't distinguish real attraction from fake behavior. And instead of moving on, when they have been tricked or scammed by such female actresses, they get all emotionally hurt and stuck.

So direct approach, also means understanding playing the numbers game, becoming hardened to silly games women might play, and no longer concerned about fear of rejection. Whichever chosen, the guy must develop himself in that category to play the game to the best of his ability.

Last edited:
That's not necessarily the case. The quality and type of picture is important too. Something many women know and exploit.

Famous examples are fat girls that only take close up pictures of their face or ugly girls that take pictures of their body, sexy pictures, or from far away. And some women even put professionally taken pictures or are masters of photoshop. Like older late 30s/40/50ish women, who touch up photos and claim to be 20ish or young 30s...

So, how a guy's profile looks and is setup can be important. Different combinations of pictures and different comments or info on his profile can lead to different results. Particularly if the guy puts job and income information, so after pictures, money and socioeconomic status often attracts women.

I mostly agree, that direct approach is usually better, because you really meet the person and establish actual chemistry. However, and particularly in Japan, it has its negatives too. Many women will act fake or are only being polite. For new PUAs, this can be very difficult, where they can't distinguish real attraction from fake behavior. And instead of moving on, when they have been tricked or scammed by such female actresses, they get all emotionally hurt and stuck.

So direct approach, also means understanding playing the numbers game, becoming hardened to silly games women might play, and no longer concerned about fear of rejection. Whichever chosen, the guy must develop himself in that category to play the game to the best of his ability.
Japan is definitely not for new PUAs. But if you can succeed Day game in Japan, you will definitely be a PUA and do well any where.

Dude, stop instigating. I did NOT create the term. That should be obvious.
So just because you didn't invent the term, you think it's somehow fine to refer to other people by it. So all the PUA "sleazebags, saddos and weirdos" think putting others down to make themselves look good is totally OK (it's OK, I didn't invent those terms http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/12/pua-pick-up-artists-julien-blanc-dapper-laughs and I'm pretty sure the author didn't either, so she's also off the hook).
Relax, go buy a woman, nobody here that I see or myself, is trying to judge you for your habits.
/sigh, of course the old "if you aren't pro your style of PUA then you must be buying women, because of course nobody can have an active social life without doing PUA.

Maybe it's just your "style" of PUA that has such a negative outlook on the world in general, "women are incapable of love", "women are scammers", "AFC", "SIMP", just off the top of my head that means you get people's negative attention. Like the Porsche owner that goes to every Porsche convention bitching to everyone about the little niggles he has with his Porsche, people soon turn their backs and talk to the people with a positive outlook who are thrilled to be driving their favourite car and wax lyrical about their favourite drives, people that leave a positive impression after a chat.

but to offload your emotional issues about PUA or guys that don't have to pay for sex.
Come on, liking your "evidence" so much, cite source for me offloading on people that "don't have to pay for sex", I don't equate success with women on purely PUA (I leave that in your domain).

As I stated above, the PUA crowd is diverse, as is the non PUA crowd, the likes of Sinapse don't generally draw me to pick up issues in his posts, but that's because he seems happy being who he is, and isn't dragging others down (women, non PUA) to make himself feel superior. I can't specifically recall him using negative terms, AFC, SIMP etc (maybe I need to use the search more) to refer to other guys. Perhaps you are negging us, if so, I'll pass thanks.

So just because you didn't invent the term, you think it's somehow fine to refer to other people by it. So all the PUA "sleazebags, saddos and weirdos" think putting others down to make themselves look good is totally OK (it's OK, I didn't invent those terms http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/12/pua-pick-up-artists-julien-blanc-dapper-laughs and I'm pretty sure the author didn't either, so she's also off the hook).

/sigh, of course the old "if you aren't pro your style of PUA then you must be buying women, because of course nobody can have an active social life without doing PUA.

Maybe it's just your "style" of PUA that has such a negative outlook on the world in general, "women are incapable of love", "women are scammers", "AFC", "SIMP", just off the top of my head that means you get people's negative attention. Like the Porsche owner that goes to every Porsche convention bitching to everyone about the little niggles he has with his Porsche, people soon turn their backs and talk to the people with a positive outlook who are thrilled to be driving their favourite car and wax lyrical about their favourite drives, people that leave a positive impression after a chat.

Come on, liking your "evidence" so much, cite source for me offloading on people that "don't have to pay for sex", I don't equate success with women on purely PUA (I leave that in your domain).

As I stated above, the PUA crowd is diverse, as is the non PUA crowd, the likes of Sinapse don't generally draw me to pick up issues in his posts, but that's because he seems happy being who he is, and isn't dragging others down (women, non PUA) to make himself feel superior. I can't specifically recall him using negative terms, AFC, SIMP etc (maybe I need to use the search more) to refer to other guys. Perhaps you are negging us, if so, I'll pass thanks.

Now you are just trolling and have no point but trying to derail the discussion into back and forth insults. You pulled a word, which is in very popular use, way of context to unload unnecessary emotional issues.

Then used the pretext of fake outrage to hypocrtically launch insults. "PUA sleazebags, saddos and weirdos" You are NOT slick.

Then you thought you can be even more slick, by creating division, to pit Sinapse against Solong. Not going to happen, as I have zero beef with Sinapse or his style. People have different styles, and that's fine with me.

So stop! The game your playing and tactic is obvious. Can you please focus on the topic instead?

If you have some contribution to the topic, then do that.

Last edited:
You are pulling something way out of context, and using the pretext of fake outrage to launch insults and attempts at creating division.

206636171_0021c26a2e.jpg

Reactions: Wwanderer
Have you guys heard of the possibility of blocking a user so you don't see their posts? I don't use it myself or particularly recommend it, but I also don't waste my time trying to tell people what/where they should not post on open internet forums; that approach works incredibly badly...talk about doing something poorly!

-Ww

Reactions: meiji
What you posted has nothing to do with the topic.
Just ignore them. They're just stalkers. Some people are like that. Just smile when you joy your next pink. Why do you worry about making them a competitor. You can only bring a horse to water, you can't make the horse drink it. Let evolution did with them. Life is too short and there are so many pinks to enjoy.

Reactions: Solong
(AFCs, or Average Frustrated Chumps),
In PUA, there is AFC (Average Fucking Chump),
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=r...n-jp&client=safari#hl=en-jp&q=pua+acronym+afc
Dude, stop instigating. I did NOT create the term.
Or maybe you did

Have you guys heard of the possibility of blocking a user so you don't see their posts?
Where's the fun in that, surely every discussion benefits from having pros and cons discussed.

Just ignore them. They're just stalkers. Some people are like that. Just smile when you joy your next pink. Why do you worry about making them a competitor. You can only bring a horse to water, you can't make the horse drink it. Let evolution did with them. Life is too short and there are so many pinks to enjoy.
What you posted is nothing to do with the topic, although you are quite right, you can lead a horse to what you believe is water, and if he recognizes it as the cess pool that it is, it's only a foolish horse that would drink it. Not sure what the snooker references are though, are snooker players somehow more evolved than others?

I can't help wondering how many women appreciate being referred to as "pinks"? Do you call women "pinks" when there are women present? In the interest of retaining your testicles, I'd advise you not to do so. :rolleyes:

-Ww

Where's the fun in that, surely every discussion benefits from having pros and cons discussed.

Oh, I have no problem with it at all, and indeed I contribute more than my share to such pro-con discussions surely, but I meant to suggest to @Solong that asking/telling you what and where to post is VERY unlikely to be effective and that simply not reading or not seeing your posts would be incredibly more effective. He frequently advises men on TAG about how to meet and seduce women more effectively. I intended to return the favor by advising him about how to more effectively control his online environment and avoid posts that he apparently sees as a disruption of the conversation he wishes us to have.

-Ww