Best ramen

if that's your only gripe just don't eat all the noodles and don't order the mountain of sprouts

Don't eat all the noodles!? That's ramen blasphemy! Next, you'll be telling me not to drink all the soup!

Actually, being in my 30s now, I've stopped ordering the extra veggies. If you don't say "veggies" during the topping order, you'll only get the standard portion. Still, the abura, chasyu, and other goodies are all still too much for me to eat and leave the ramen shop without feeling like I'm gonna have a heart attack.

Oh, to die by ramen! That would be absolute bliss!

I would prefer to die under a young spinner but to each his own.

And I thought only construction workers and university students considered ramen as a food.

You should see all the Japanese businessmen in my office. They pick the noodle menu (ramen or udon) in the cafeteria for lunch every day and don't gain a kilogram. Lucky SOBs.

You should see all the Japanese businessmen in my office. They pick the noodle menu (ramen or udon) in the cafeteria for lunch every day and don't gain a kilogram. Lucky SOBs.

My normal jogging route takes me by this one mom-and-pop ramen shop. I usually gain a kilogram just by running past it and sniffing the aromas.

And by the way it stinks to high hell. I am not sure if they just reheat the old broth every day or what but I would not be going there to eat even if they'd pay me. Of course the place is normally packed even at 2AM and it's not even close to anything so you pretty much have to trek or drive there. :confused:

My normal jogging route takes me by this one mom-and-pop ramen shop. I usually gain a kilogram just by running past it and sniffing the aromas.

And by the way it stinks to high hell. I am not sure if they just reheat the old broth every day or what but I would not be going there to eat even if they'd pay me. Of course the place is normally packed even at 2AM and it's not even close to anything so you pretty much have to trek or drive there. :confused:

Are you referring to a porky cheese smell? That's the best!!!!! I absolutely love when a ramen shop has that! You know what they say, the stinkier, the tastier. (Except for DATY, if you ask me)

There used to be a Tokyo shop for なんでんかんでん (Nadenkanden ramen) and it was located in the first floor of an apartment building. You could smell the pork cheese for 100m in each direction and it was amazing to me how none of the residents complained about it.

Ugh, I find Ichiran Ramen to be highly overrated. By no means am I a ramen slob (I actually barely get to eat it whenever I visit), and actually think their ramen is pretty good. But whenever I read a site that claims it to be the #1 ramen in the world or overhear a tourist it's the most perfect ramen they've ever eaten, I always end up giving a huge internal sigh.

Speaking of "overrated", you could try visiting the michelin star rated ramen shops:
Tsuta: https://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/12...to-ever-receive-a-michelin-dining-guide-star/
Nakiryu: https://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/12...ant-in-tokyo-receives-michelin-star-for-2017/

Haven't tried them myself, so can't really say how they hold up.

And there's nothing quite like ramen pussy!

pusheen the ramen eater.gif

Asking for my wife. Is vegetarian ramen soup easy to find? Any recommendations in Shinjuku? Thanks.

The only place I've been to where vege ramen is available is this place in Roppongi, but I can't comment further because I didn't have ramen there. There must be one or two in Shinjuku.
http://6bt.jp/en/

Reactions: ur19877
Ugh, I find Ichiran Ramen to be highly overrated. By no means am I a ramen slob (I actually barely get to eat it whenever I visit), and actually think their ramen is pretty good. But whenever I read a site that claims it to be the #1 ramen in the world or overhear a tourist it's the most perfect ramen they've ever eaten, I always end up giving a huge internal sigh.

Speaking of "overrated", you could try visiting the michelin star rated ramen shops:
Tsuta: https://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/12...to-ever-receive-a-michelin-dining-guide-star/
Nakiryu: https://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/12...ant-in-tokyo-receives-michelin-star-for-2017/

Haven't tried them myself, so can't really say how they hold up.

when i went to nakiryu i waited 2 and a half hours in line for my ramen... lol

when i went to nakiryu i waited 2 and a half hours in line for my ramen... lol

That’s one the main reasons why I haven’t tried a lot of these awesome non-chain ramen places. Personally I don’t mind waiting in a long line if the ramen is great. Problem is when my wife is hungry, it’s - “EAT! NOW!”

And if I don’t feed her fast enough, I end up like this:

The only place I've been to where vege ramen is available is this place in Roppongi, but I can't comment further because I didn't have ramen there. There must be one or two in Shinjuku.
http://6bt.jp/en/
Thanks a lot!
I've been there once and tried to go again but it seems like they are closed for good :(

Inside Tokyo station, there is a very famous vegan ramen restaurant called T's tan tan.
There are some other places in Tokyo that have a vegan ramen option, but this one is the most raved about by vegs.

I've been there once and tried to go again but it seems like they are closed for good :(

Inside Tokyo station, there is a very famous vegan ramen restaurant called T's tan tan.
There are some other places in Tokyo that have a vegan ramen option, but this one is the most raved about by vegs.
Will need to check it out. Thanks. She loves ramen and would suck for her to go to Japan and not taste it.

I don’t eat ramen in the US too much...
In the LA.. good ramen joints has been more popular these days, but costs around 1.7K a bowl!!

In the LA.. good ramen joints has been more popular these days, but costs around 1.7K a bowl!!

A year or so ago I remember passing by a ramen shop in the Shinjuku Yodobashi area that advertised Kobe Beef ramen. 4K per bowl! :jawdrop:

Never got to try it though - it was promotional only. :(

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Will need to check it out. Thanks. She loves ramen and would suck for her to go to Japan and not taste it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ion-Chiyoda_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html
This is the restaurant. So its located in Tokyo station INSIDE the ticket gates.

As you can see, the reviews are quite positive and i think she'd love it if she likes noodles.

Read an article this morning in The Japan News about a film [Redacted #91] and just released, describing the passion you seem to have about ramen.

Ramen Heads focuses on Osamu Tomita, 39, the owner and chef of ramen shop Chukasoba Tomita - dubbed one of the best in Japan - in Matsudo, Chiba Prefecture. The production team followed him for more than a year, and also visited a number of other eateries.

Shigeno found it surprising that Tomita dines at other ramen shops with his family on his days off. "It's not for research. He just likes the noodles," the director said. "I was amazed."

The documentary has been shown at film festivals in 10 cities in the Netherlands, the United States, Norway and four other countries. Shigeno and Tomita attended two of the events: the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival in Toronto and the San Sebastian International Film Festival in Spain.

Here's a clip:

I couldn't find the article online, but did find a reprint.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Crazy-about-ramen-Documentary-charts-love-of-12561840.php

And while we are on the subject:

Reactions: faboo2001

Sorry that my info is something that's become obsolete. Thanks Alice for her pointing out it's been closed.

In addition to Alice's suggestion, a friend of mine in Japan told me about this ramen restaurant franchise that had vege ramen and gyoza in the menu. The shop in Tokyo closest to Shinjuku is in Shimokitazawa.
http://www.chabuton.com/index.html

My neighborhood has quite a few ramen joints, too, and it costs...$15 plus tips a bowl. Some are OK (like Ippudo) but most are mediocre at best at this price. It's crazy. On my carb-up days, I usually have some authentic Japanese instant noodles like Chukazanmai or Raoh, dreaming about my next trip to Japan.

Last edited:
On my carb-up days, I usually have some authentic Japanese instant noodles like Chukazanmai or Raoh, dreaming about my next trip to Japan.

Isn't the only authentic Japanese instant noodle Nissin Cup Noodles? Every brand after that is technically a copy cat.

Isn't the only authentic Japanese instant noodle Nissin Cup Noodles? Every brand after that is technically a copy cat.

Yes, you are right.That was a great invention.

I haven't had cup noodles for many years. Nissin Cup Noodles in the States is different from the Japanese original, and it really tastes terrible.

What I meant by saying "authentic" is nama-type instant noodles or its close equivalent. I found this one at a Japanese grocery store yesterday, which was also OK to me and way better than spending $20 on a mediocre bowl at one of local ramen joints.
https://www.mercato.com/shop/katagiri-japanese-grocery/item/myojo-seafood-tonkotsu/184576

Yes, you are right.That was a great invention.

I haven't had cup noodles for many years. Nissin Cup Noodles in the States is different from the Japanese original, and it really tastes terrible.

What I meant by saying "authentic" is nama-type instant noodles or its close equivalent. I found this one at a Japanese grocery store yesterday, which was also OK to me and way better than spending $20 on a mediocre bowl at one of local ramen joints.
https://www.mercato.com/shop/katagiri-japanese-grocery/item/myojo-seafood-tonkotsu/184576

According to the packaging, it's frozen when imported to the U.S.
Blasphemy!!!!

This brand of instant noodles is okay because the noodles are pretty decent. Better than the cheap egg noodles you find in supermarkets.
Still, the soup is nothing like the real thing. You can't get the perfect balance of broth, oil, spices, and warmth with instant packaging.

According to the packaging, it's frozen when imported to the U.S.
Blasphemy!!!!

This brand of instant noodles is okay because the noodles are pretty decent. Better than the cheap egg noodles you find in supermarkets.
Still, the soup is nothing like the real thing. You can't get the perfect balance of broth, oil, spices, and warmth with instant packaging.

I didn't know that it's frozen food :nailbiting:.

It's not bad though really. As you said, noodles is OK. The texture is closer to the real thing. You are right on the soup. Still it's probably surprising to those who believe instant noodles is nothing more than Cup Noodles or Pot Noodles.

Sorry that my info is something that's become obsolete. Thanks Alice for her pointing out it's been closed.

In addition to Alice's suggestion, a friend of mine in Japan told me about this ramen restaurant franchise that had vege ramen and gyoza in the menu. The shop in Tokyo closest to Shinjuku is in Shimokitazawa.
http://www.chabuton.com/index.html

My neighborhood has quite a few ramen joints, too, and it costs...$15 plus tips a bowl. Some are OK (like Ippudo) but most are mediocre at best at this price. It's crazy. On my carb-up days, I usually have some authentic Japanese instant noodles like Chukazanmai or Raoh, dreaming about my next trip to Japan.

Hold up...did I read this correct?

Are you actually saying instant ramen noodles are better than Ippudo?

I know there are countless mom and pop ramen shops better than Ippudo, but instant ramen...