Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

Given that the average NCP patient is in their late 60s or above, you do realise you'd see similar complications from regular pneumonia in that age group as well?

The median age of those 138 cases is 56 years old, not late 60s.

And the percentage of ARDS is siginificantly higher in NCP regardless of age group anyway.

Also, the cause of complications is different.

Therefore, doctors take special-purpose treatments against NCP.

With a taxi driver spreading it, Tokyo is basically already fucked at this point. And without even a courtesy reacharound.

Reactions: just4fun
d, It's Wakayama. Not many Chinese tourists bother to go there.

Wakayama actually gets more than a few Chinese tourists cause of KIX. Last time I was there, there were several tour buses and I heard a lot of Chinese when I went to the marina where they do a tuna cutting show.

News reports are saying she's the mother-in-law of the infected taxi driver. So there's her infection vector.

Phew!

The median age of those 138 cases is 56 years old, not late 60s.

And the percentage of ARDS is siginificantly higher in NCP regardless of age group anyway.

Also, the cause of complications is different.

Therefore, doctors take special-purpose treatments against NCP.
The overall average age is mid to late 60s as per data I was reading a few days ago, not referring to this specific study. You’ll also find that the complications increase with the age of the patient.

And yes, the cause is different, Surat, because they’re infected with a different bloody pathogen.

Reactions: MikeH
Reactions: bergmann
The overall average age is mid to late 60s as per data I was reading a few days ago, not referring to this specific study. You’ll also find that the complications increase with the age of the patient.

And yes, the cause is different, Surat, because they’re infected with a different bloody pathogen.
So you might also know that the deceased lady might have a better chance of survival if she's diagnosed earlier and given specifc treatments.

This is by no means a medical advice, but the following is a (non exhaustive) list of medicines used for NCP, but normally not used for other kinds of pneumonia:

chloroquine;
hydroxychloroquine;
lopinavir/ritonavir;
darunavir/cobicistat;
arbidol with interferon;
remdesivir;
losartan;
telmisartan;
imatinib;
adalimumab;
tocilizumab;
baricitinib;
mycophenolate mofetil;
diammonium glycyrrhizinate;
curcumin;
plasma of the cured patient (old but good);
GSK2586881 (yes, they are so desperate);
GS-441524 (yes, they are so crazily desperate).

Some of them worked, some of them apparently didn't, but none of them would have been prescribed to an ordinary pneumonia patient.

So you might also know that the deceased lady might have a better chance of survival if she's diagnosed earlier and given specifc treatments.

This is by no means a medical advice, but the following is a (non exhaustive) list of medicines used for NCP, but normally not used for other kinds of pneumonia:

chloroquine;
hydroxychloroquine;
lopinavir/ritonavir;
darunavir/cobicistat;
arbidol with interferon;
remdesivir;
losartan;
telmisartan;
imatinib;
adalimumab;
tocilizumab;
baricitinib;
mycophenolate mofetil;
curcumin;

Some of them worked, some of them apparently didn't, but none of them would have been prescribed to an ordinary pneumonia patient.
You forgot the OronaminC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH
You forgot the OronaminC.
You are right.

But it's used for all sorts of pneumonias (and other illnesses) so it's not on the NCP exclusive list.

chloroquine;
hydroxychloroquine;
lopinavir/ritonavir;
darunavir/cobicistat;
arbidol with interferon;
remdesivir;
losartan;
telmisartan;
imatinib;
adalimumab;
tocilizumab;
baricitinib;
mycophenolate mofetil;
curcumin;

You’re conflating trials and treatment again.

None of these are approved treatments, they’re drugs that are being tested. None show any special promise so far, last I looked.

None of these are approved treatments, they’re drugs that are being tested. None show any special promise so far, last I looked.
I heard that some doctors at the Association of Chinese Traditional Medicine in Beijing were experimenting with various extracts and compounds from bats, civet cats and snakes. Frustrated with the slow pace of Western Science, they were trying to come up with a cure on their own. They had a Cuisinart blender and they were shoving the still living little creaters in various combinations into the blender. They were mixing in some Corona beer (with lime) too because one guy thought that was a good idea and he secretely wanted to drink some of that beer on the sly. But then one of them, who had a PHD in Epidemiology from UCLA (University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians) said, "Hey wait a minute guys, I think it might be these dirty little fuckers that caused the virus in the first place!"

They don't really mind if the treatments are approved or not. Like I said, they are in desperate. They are using anything remotely effective. You should be glad that the Chinese are so civilised now they are sticked to modern medicines. If the situation keeps worsening they might soon start using voodoo herbs and shamanic exilirs.

And in case you are not updated with the current status of remdesivir since the last time I mentioned it, the Chinese already copied it, did their own trial, and filed their own patent application by Jan. 21st.

Now they are mass producing it:
http://static.sse.com.cn//disclosure/listedinfo/bulletin/star/c/688166_20200212_1.pdf

I heard that some doctors at the Association of Chinese Traditional Medicine in Beijing were experimenting with various extracts and compounds from bats, civet cats and snakes. Frustrated with the slow pace of Western Science, they were trying to come up with a cure on their own. They had a Cuisinart blender and they were shoving the still living little creaters in various combinations into the blender. They were mixing in some Corona beer (with lime) too because one guy thought that was a good idea and he secretely wanted to drink some of that beer on the sly. But then one of them, who had a PHD in Epidemiology from UCLA (University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians) said, "Hey wait a minute guys, I think it might be these dirty little fuckers that caused the virus in the first place!"
You must be a spy.

EQOcU-5VAAEk9b-_mh1581661081572.jpg

. They are using anything remotely effective. You should be glad that the Chinese are so civilised now they are sticked to modern medicines. If the situation keeps worsening they might soon start using voodoo herbs and shamanic exilirs.

So now I get it. That poor old lady should have been diagnosed so she would have been able to receive voodoo herbs as treatment.

Reactions: warubuta and Lukes
And by the way Buta; I have already read way more crazy theories in the net so I am guessing you should just give up. You aren't even half enough crazy to compete successfully.

Reactions: Lukes
So now I get it. That poor old lady should have been diagnosed so she would have been able to receive voodoo herbs as treatment.
No need to hurry.

This will happen only after hospitals are swarmed, pharmacies are empty, crematoriums run 24/7, and cities get locked down. You still have a long way to go.

But my personal advice is, take some precautions and don't go thus far. It's really not funny.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/newpage_09531.html

Some stats as of Friday (they don't include the cruise ship cases in the above press release),

Total 978 tested; 33 positive.
Among the positives, 17 hospitalized for mild symptoms, 3 hospitalized but remain asymptomatic, 12 discharged as recovered (tests turned negative), 1 dead.

It's a new virus that has jumped to human just recently...probably it's still in the process of evolution and adaptation. Hope it doesn't make things complicated too much...

Total 978 tested; 33 positive.
Among the positives, 17 hospitalized for mild symptoms, 3 hospitalized but remain asymptomatic, 12 discharged as recovered (tests turned negative), 1 dead.

Meanwhile during the same timeframe around 80.000 deaths globally and 1.000 in Japan only for the normal yearly influenza virus.

No need to hurry.

But my personal advice is, take some precautions and don't go thus far. It's really not funny.

Well it's not me who is hastily jumping ahead.

The virus ain't funny. But the unnecessary panic some people are desperate trying to fuel is. Do you run a pharmacy selling masks or what's your agenda?

Meanwhile during the same timeframe around 80.000 deaths globally and 1.000 in Japan only for the normal yearly influenza virus.

The way CDC estimates the death toll of flu is totally different from the way Ministry of Health of Japan counts the death toll of NCP.

Well it's not me who is hastily jumping ahead.

The virus ain't funny. But the unnecessary panic some people are desperate trying to fuel is. Do you run a pharmacy selling masks or what's your agenda?
No. I am not that stupid.

Selling those masks to China is far more lucrative.

People there have been eye-witnessing how nasty this outbreak is and are more willing to buy at whatever price I'd like to charge.

And no, it's not hastily jumping ahead. It's just happening.