Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

I hate to revive an old thread, but in case anyone hasn't heard the news this morning...

Pfizer says early analysis shows its Covid-19 vaccine is more than 90% effective

This news, combined with the election jitters finally settling, sent the Dow Jones up more than 1600 points at one point. The dollar has also gained two points on the yen. This is major fucking news. The FDA was hoping for a vaccine being 50% effective, at best, and Pfizer says it's looking at seeking emergency use authorization in the next two weeks.

I'm not booking my tickets just yet, but it looks like I may be pulling my pants down in a neighborhood near you sometime soon.

I hate to revive an old thread, but in case anyone hasn't heard the news this morning...

Pfizer says early analysis shows its Covid-19 vaccine is more than 90% effective

This news, combined with the election jitters finally settling, sent the Dow Jones up more than 1600 points at one point. The dollar has also gained two points on the yen. This is major fucking news. The FDA was hoping for a vaccine being 50% effective, at best, and Pfizer says it's looking at seeking emergency use authorization in the next two weeks.

I'm not booking my tickets just yet, but it looks like I may be pulling my pants down in a neighborhood near you sometime soon.

oh shit! just checked my savings investment, made about 20k USD since I last checked a month ago, thank you Pfizer, I love you Big Pharma!
If on the off-chance I actually live to spend any of my retirement money, that's a nice few bottles of whiskey and / or blow jobs

oh shit! just checked my savings investment, made about 20k USD since I last checked a month ago, thank you Pfizer, I love you Big Pharma!
If on the off-chance I actually live to spend any of my retirement money, that's a nice few bottles of whiskey and / or blow jobs

Today is one of those rare days where I wish I played the stock market. I think I'm the only guy at the office who didn't have Pfizer stock. One of my workers cashed out this morning, asshole made thousands. Even better, when the emergency approval comes at the end of this month, I'm the only one in my family that doesn't technically fall into the "high risk" category so they're all planning their winter/spring vacations now while I'll probably end up sitting at home, alone, beating off with my KN95 mask on.

Today is one of those rare days where I wish I played the stock market. I think I'm the only guy at the office who didn't have Pfizer stock. One of my workers cashed out this morning, asshole made thousands. Even better, when the emergency approval comes at the end of this month, I'm the only one in my family that doesn't technically fall into the "high risk" category so they're all planning their winter/spring vacations now while I'll probably end up sitting at home, alone, beating off with my KN95 mask on.
Your wife voted for Biden and you divorced her? :D

Your wife voted for Biden and you divorced her? :D

Don't be silly, she's not even a citizen. We're keeping it that way in case I one day push my luck a little too far in politics and need a spouse visa so I can go hide out in Japan for a few years and teach at an eikaiwa again. I hear good things about GABA.

I kid. I'd sooner work at Libe Osaka.

I kid. I'd sooner work at Libe Osaka.

Come on, certainly there are no reasons to go to those extremes.

As they have Libe in Yokohama too. I got my Biden money from the betting agency and I promise to be gentle.

Reactions: Keihan
I don't really play the stock market, its a super low risk boring investment that I have, only a step or two up from a 401k, so I'm sure a lot of people made a lot more than I did.
Problem is if I did have a individual trading account Id just be on it all day probably making shit choices picking stocks when I should be working so Id just end up losing my job and all my savings.

Reactions: Acid Burn and MikeH
Problem is if I did have a individual trading account Id just be on it all day probably making shit choices picking stocks when I should be working so Id just end up losing my job and all my savings.

You just said "day trader" using a very long sentence to do it.

Reactions: Acid Burn

BREAKING NEWS -----‐--------

"Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar predicted Tuesday that there would be enough Covid-19 vaccine for general public vaccination campaigns by spring 2021."

Reactions: Frenchy and Keihan
BREAKING NEWS -----‐--------

"Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar predicted Tuesday that there would be enough Covid-19 vaccine for general public vaccination campaigns by spring 2021."

While I sincerely hope that's the case, I'm also very cautious of what Azar says because he's a Trump loyalist and has gone along with everything other "promise" that's come out before this ("vaccine by a very special day"). I know for a fact that the Trump campaign is still holding on to hope that their lawsuits and recounts will flip the election, so I simply can't fully trust what Trump's cabinet members are saying for now. I think Pfizer estimates 50-million doses by January but that's for global distribution. No idea how much of that will go stateside but I'm hoping for most of it since it looks like we'll be the only (first world) country issuing an EUA for now.

We do have a couple of things going for us, stateside:

1) Almost 50% of Americans still don't trust the vaccine and say they'll refuse to get the first wave of vaccinations. Good, more for the thinking portion of the country.

2) Stupid fucking partisan governors like Cuomo are so deranged from TDS that they want to effectively stall distribution of the vaccine in their states until Biden is president so Trump can't take credit for it. No vaccines for NY? By all means, send them 10-million extra doses westward then!

3) It looks like the vaccines from Moderna and AstraZeneca, which are very similar to and expected to be roughly as effective as the Pfizer vaccine, should be arriving around the new year so we could have in excess of 100-million doses available before spring. That should be enough to get healthcare workers and the elderly vaccinated and make doses available to the general public.

The good thing is that Trump still thinks he's got a shot at being re-elected, and to that end he'll be pushing everyone and everything to rush the vaccine efforts. The bad thing is that the federal government can barely get things done and not royally fuck up new ventures under the best of conditions. Asking bureaucrats to rush things along could be courting disaster. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

While I sincerely hope that's the case, I'm also very cautious of what Azar says because he's a Trump loyalist and has gone along with everything other "promise" that's come out before this ("vaccine by a very special day"). I know for a fact that the Trump campaign is still holding on to hope that their lawsuits and recounts will flip the election, so I simply can't fully trust what Trump's cabinet members are saying for now. I think Pfizer estimates 50-million doses by January but that's for global distribution. No idea how much of that will go stateside but I'm hoping for most of it since it looks like we'll be the only (first world) country issuing an EUA for now.

We do have a couple of things going for us, stateside:

1) Almost 50% of Americans still don't trust the vaccine and say they'll refuse to get the first wave of vaccinations. Good, more for the thinking portion of the country.

2) Stupid fucking partisan governors like Cuomo are so deranged from TDS that they want to effectively stall distribution of the vaccine in their states until Biden is president so Trump can't take credit for it. No vaccines for NY? By all means, send them 10-million extra doses westward then!

3) It looks like the vaccines from Moderna and AstraZeneca, which are very similar to and expected to be roughly as effective as the Pfizer vaccine, should be arriving around the new year so we could have in excess of 100-million doses available before spring. That should be enough to get healthcare workers and the elderly vaccinated and make doses available to the general public.

The good thing is that Trump still thinks he's got a shot at being re-elected, and to that end he'll be pushing everyone and everything to rush the vaccine efforts. The bad thing is that the federal government can barely get things done and not royally fuck up new ventures under the best of conditions. Asking bureaucrats to rush things along could be courting disaster. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

it should be ok . Donnie said the army will do the job. What could go wrong?

Further good news arrived today, with Moderna saying it's preparing to release its COVID-19 vaccine data shortly.

An independent safety board will now be analyzing results, and Moderna executives expect to release those results later this month. Fauci, who's generally very cautious with his predictions, says he expects the results to be released possibly in the next few days to week, and since the Moderna vaccine is almost identical to the one from Pfizer, also expects very similar efficacy numbers at or possibly even above 90%.

Stocks are going to soar soon.

Reactions: UnicornHunter
And then there's some very, very BAD news. Evidently, Joe Biden has already put together his 10-person COVID-19 Advisory Board, and it includes members who want to the U.S. and other developed nations to be forced to give away their stocks of vaccine before their citizens are fully vaccinated, calling it "vaccine nationalism." They've come up with a "Fair Priority Model" which allows countries to only keep enough doses to theoretically reach herd immunity--not enough for all citizens who actually want them--and then have to give away the rest for free to supposedly third-world countries. This board includes Zeke Emmanuel, key architect of Obamacare. So this commie bullshit should not be surprising.

To his credit, Trump has stated that we will absolutely share our stocks of vaccine once the needs of the American people are met, not sooner, and that we will not be collaborating with the WHO in that distribution effort.

I'm very sorry but as far as I'm concerned, the rest of the world can go fuck itself for now. If an American company developed a vaccine, Americans should have priority. Beggars can't be choosers. If third-world countries want shit for free before the folks who developed and paid, go beg the fucking Chinese who started this in the first place. I'm sure Chairman Xi is just dying to give away his Sinopharm doses for free before saving his own country.

So here's me crossing my fingers and hoping the FDA can roll out the vaccine ASAP, before Biden and his team of bioethicist commies can fuck it all up with their "fair" redistribution nonsense.

We've got ten weeks left.

And then there's some very, very BAD news. Evidently, Joe Biden has already put together his 10-person COVID-19 Advisory Board, and it includes members who want to the U.S. and other developed nations to be forced to give away their stocks of vaccine before their citizens are fully vaccinated, calling it "vaccine nationalism." They've come up with a "Fair Priority Model" which allows countries to only keep enough doses to theoretically reach herd immunity--not enough for all citizens who actually want them--and then have to give away the rest for free to supposedly third-world countries. This board includes Zeke Emmanuel, key architect of Obamacare. So this commie bullshit should not be surprising.

To his credit, Trump has stated that we will absolutely share our stocks of vaccine once the needs of the American people are met, not sooner, and that we will not be collaborating with the WHO in that distribution effort.

I'm very sorry but as far as I'm concerned, the rest of the world can go fuck itself for now. If an American company developed a vaccine, Americans should have priority. Beggars can't be choosers. If third-world countries want shit for free before the folks who developed and paid, go beg the fucking Chinese who started this in the first place. I'm sure Chairman Xi is just dying to give away his Sinopharm doses for free before saving his own country.

So here's me crossing my fingers and hoping the FDA can roll out the vaccine ASAP, before Biden and his team of bioethicist commies can fuck it all up with their "fair" redistribution nonsense.

We've got ten weeks left.

i kinda agree with you (if its really what they have in mind...) but no worries: so many anti-vaxxers and Gates-is-Evil conspiracy believers are there to make sure a lot of vaccines won’t be even accepted by your compatriots :D

Reactions: Ddddd and Keihan
I'm very sorry but as far as I'm concerned, the rest of the world can go fuck itself for now
that isn't really how a pandemic works though.
Only one country getting vaccinated and other countries having no protection is like having a no-peeing section in a swimming pool.
This is literally the time where the more well-off and developed countries need to step in and help out, for their own good as much as others.

Only one country getting vaccinated and other countries having no protection is like having a no-peeing section in a swimming pool.
This is literally the time where the more well-off and developed countries need to step in and help out, for their own good as much as others.

then you can expect all sorts of nutjobs explaining that Gates and the WHO And Illuminatis whatever, want to decimate third world countries with their evil vaccine

Oh, I'm well aware of what scientists say will be necessary to truly end this pandemic, a far as global distribution. I was shown all those hypothetical charts and graphs while still volunteering at the government headquarters with the state's epidemiologists and virologists. Third world countries will have to be vaccinated in order to protect first world countries. I've seen the hypothetical cost charts showing what the U.S. (and other leading countries) will have to spend on poorer countries, and the minor investment of a few billion dollars will benefit us hugely. I absolutely agree that we should assist in vaccinating the entire world to save ourselves.

It's just that I operate from a standpoint of fear, intertwined with selfishness, bolstered by a healthy dose of bigotry. And I want the vaccine now. If the poorer half of the world has to wait another six months, or nine months, then that's just too bad for them. America's vaccine, Americans get vaccinated first. And I believe the UK is operating on basically the exact same rationale. As all of our countries should. It's human nature.

It just makes more sense to me to allow leading countries, whose people engage in far more inter-commerce--to vaccinate their own populations first. For America's interests, I would imagine our priority should be collaborating with the Canadian and Mexican governments to speed up distribution, and Mexico should definitely be assisting Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Same goes for leading European countries, with porous borders. And same with Japan, South Korea, China, etc. If we get the numbers under control in America, I'd be far more worried about some unvaccinated business traveler from Toronto, London, Tokyo, Beijing or Moscow flying in and causing an outbreak than Umbutu the farmer/militiaman from Sierra Leone.

To that end, I'm completely with Trump on this one. Vaccinate every American who wants to be vaccinated, then start with the humanitarian efforts. But I'm not actually too worried once the politics get involved. Imagine you're a U.S. Senator, or the NYC Mayor or NY Governor, and there's a precinct in wealthy Manhattan where thousands of pissed off, rich New Yorkers are trying to register to get their vaccination, and then some politician has to come out and announce: "Sorry folks, we had an extra million doses on hand but hey...fair is fair! We shipped them all to the wonderful people of Sri Lanka, and for free!!" Yeah, that asshole is getting booted in the next election. At the end of the day, politicians will always save their own asses first.

then you can expect all sorts of nutjobs explaining that Gates and the WHO And Illuminatis whatever, want to decimate third world countries with their evil vaccine

That's not a joke. There are already growing circles of tinfoil hat assholes, especially after the stock market exploded last week, who are absolutely convinced the Pfizer vaccine is nothing more than a diabolical plot hatched by Trump, Wall Street, Bill Gates, etc., just to make money off the pandemic. And then you have the really special jerkoffs like Alex Jones and the rest of that crowd who think this is a New World Order plot to sterilize or kill off the populations of most industrialized countries and start over again with the Illuminati in charge of everything.

To be honest, I'm very thankful to them. I'm that much closer to being 90% safe.

Reactions: Frenchy
That's not a joke. There are already growing circles of tinfoil hat assholes, especially after the stock market exploded last week, who are absolutely convinced the Pfizer vaccine is nothing more than a diabolical plot hatched by Trump, Wall Street, Bill Gates, etc., just to make money off the pandemic. And then you have the really special jerkoffs like Alex Jones and the rest of that crowd who think this is a New World Order plot to sterilize or kill off the populations of most industrialized countries and start over again with the Illuminati in charge of everything.

To be honest, I'm very thankful to them. I'm that much closer to being 90% safe.

well I read a lot of those nutjobs comments on other forums , at first I was laughing at all the nonsense but I really start to worry now: how many are they? 1% of the population? 10% ? 50% ? And they always have the total certainty they are right, never a shadow of self-doubt... If you show their ideas are dumb you will always get the following answers:
- you are brain-washed by mainstream media , and they are all complicit (even Fox)
- Gates, the Illuminatis etc... are so good at hiding their tricks that you can’t know the whole picture ,
- they will kill billions of people and enslave others just to get richer (I wonder why Gates would need to be any richer, and what good a decimated population would be for the economy and rich people in general but whatever)

at least when I argue with you there are arguments and some kind of dialog and logic... with those guys , nothing . Its like talking to a wall or a parrot just repeating the same things over and over. Scary

Reactions: Keihan
Oh, I'm well aware of what scientists say will be necessary to truly end this pandemic, a far as global distribution. I was shown all those hypothetical charts and graphs while still volunteering at the government headquarters with the state's epidemiologists and virologists. Third world countries will have to be vaccinated in order to protect first world countries. I've seen the hypothetical cost charts showing what the U.S. (and other leading countries) will have to spend on poorer countries, and the minor investment of a few billion dollars will benefit us hugely. I absolutely agree that we should assist in vaccinating the entire world to save ourselves.

It's just that I operate from a standpoint of fear, intertwined with selfishness, bolstered by a healthy dose of bigotry. And I want the vaccine now. If the poorer half of the world has to wait another six months, or nine months, then that's just too bad for them. America's vaccine, Americans get vaccinated first. And I believe the UK is operating on basically the exact same rationale. As all of our countries should. It's human nature.

It just makes more sense to me to allow leading countries, whose people engage in far more inter-commerce--to vaccinate their own populations first. For America's interests, I would imagine our priority should be collaborating with the Canadian and Mexican governments to speed up distribution, and Mexico should definitely be assisting Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Same goes for leading European countries, with porous borders. And same with Japan, South Korea, China, etc. If we get the numbers under control in America, I'd be far more worried about some unvaccinated business traveler from Toronto, London, Tokyo, Beijing or Moscow flying in and causing an outbreak than Umbutu the farmer/militiaman from Sierra Leone.

To that end, I'm completely with Trump on this one. Vaccinate every American who wants to be vaccinated, then start with the humanitarian efforts. But I'm not actually too worried once the politics get involved. Imagine you're a U.S. Senator, or the NYC Mayor or NY Governor, and there's a precinct in wealthy Manhattan where thousands of pissed off, rich New Yorkers are trying to register to get their vaccination, and then some politician has to come out and announce: "Sorry folks, we had an extra million doses on hand but hey...fair is fair! We shipped them all to the wonderful people of Sri Lanka, and for free!!" Yeah, that asshole is getting booted in the next election. At the end of the day, politicians will always save their own asses first.

Not sure if I understand your para re the UK properly. But the UK and JPN, and just about every other developed country is signed up to the Covax plan - basically sharing the vaccine with poorer nations. Sounds like Biden is just bringing the US back into the "international fold" re WHO/Covax.

America's vaccine, Americans get vaccinated first. And I believe the UK is operating on basically the exact same rationale. As all of our countries should. It's human nature.
yep, two countries with totally out of their depth leaders, who got where they are playing on the basest nationalistic tendencies of their voter-base.