GoT - Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread [Spoiler Warning]

Terrifying? I guess I must have watched too many horror movies as a kid, cause that was a total snoozefest. I didn't find any of it terrifying. The only part I got into was the library scene where Arya was trying to keep from being discovered. It was intense and well choreographed. If they had done more of that the episode would have been 1000x better.

I guess for me I am totally over the whole "zombie" phenomena, and the dead army is pretty much just that an army of zombies. I didn't find the "extra dark" filming to be any more "suspenseful" than any other horror movie I had seen. The battles between the living and the dead just didn't seem very well orchestrated. They should have done a lot more with it.
To be clear, I meant terrifying from the POV of the people standing in the front lines, watching the flames die out in the distance, and the shouting dissipating. Me, I'm sitting in my hotel room in my undies watching on my laptop with a bowl of cereal; I'm feeling great!

That scene made me think of the ending one of the first season of True Detective, the light vs darkness and who's winning. Anyway, for me it really set the tone: a couple of minutes of initial confidence for the living just completely obliterated in seconds with very minimal visual and near muted audio.

Because I agree, I'm not too excited about zombies either. That's why I liked them not showing in that scene, much more scary that way, and also why I liked them all dying in this episode, including the Night King, so we can move on to the more interesting stuff.

Edit: yeah that Arya scene was very good! Perfectly paced at that time and super well choreographed. But don't think they could have done much more of that stuff in the episode or it wouldn't have been as effective.

Terrifying? I guess I must have watched too many horror movies as a kid, cause that was a total snoozefest. I didn't find any of it terrifying. The only part I got into was the library scene where Arya was trying to keep from being discovered. It was intense and well choreographed. If they had done more of that the episode would have been 1000x better.

I guess for me I am totally over the whole "zombie" phenomena, and the dead army is pretty much just that an army of zombies. I didn't find the "extra dark" filming to be any more "suspenseful" than any other horror movie I had seen. The battles between the living and the dead just didn't seem very well orchestrated. They should have done a lot more with it.
well because of the usual zombie things I didn't feel anything in the library scene, it was way better to be there than outside

There were really no surprises. My only question is..........how many dragons left? One or two?

Haven’t seen the preview for episode 4 yet, but my guess would be two. Don’t remember them showing Jon’s dragon getting taken out and I think they would have made it more obvious and devoted more screen time to it if they did.

Haven’t seen the preview for episode 4 yet, but my guess would be two. Don’t remember them showing Jon’s dragon getting taken out and I think they would have made it more obvious and devoted more screen time to it if they did.
Thanx AM. I think you're right.

Yup. That’s about right.

F6F33F9D-60C5-490D-956F-B56BD4D844A0.jpeg

OK, so a few things. 1) I saw the whole dead rising in the crypt 1000 miles away. 2) I really thought the Night King would last another week. I thought his death was rushed. The rest of the episode was very "Meh" to me.

I thought the same thing about the crypt when they first mentioned moving the women and children into there . :LOL:
Regarding the Night King - yeah, I can see where it might seem a little rushed, but to drag the whole battle out over two episodes would be a bit much.
Though Arya's dual-bladed weapon was cool, but wish she had held onto it a little longer.;)
Anybody else felt that a lot of the battle was hard to see because of the darkness? (I had to turn up the brightness on my screen for parts of this episode)

Anybody else felt that a lot of the battle was hard to see because of the darkness? (I had to turn up the brightness on my screen for parts of this episode)
I turned off all the lights and shut the blinds and thought it worked okay then. Though I could not at all distinguish between the dragons when they were fighting.

Reactions: DireWolf98
Bad boys, bad boys
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you

8BCD337B-DD75-4364-A81C-D93419D78ABE.jpeg

I found episode 3 "so so". Many things with no sense from my point of view. I am not an expert in battles but from my point of view the battle was planned horribly!
First time in my life that I see that you put your soldiers in front of the trenches and spikes. The main purpose for spikes and trenches is to make your enemies slow down and have difficulties to advance on the battlefield.
Why you send the Dothrakis to get killed in a pitch black battlefield?
Why Danerys didn't send her 2 dragons as their first strike to burn as many white walkers as possible? Creating a wall of burning corpses in their first attack.
So now, Danerys and John snow will have to fight against Cersei's army without Dothrakis and without the Unsullied.

I found episode 3 "so so". Many things with no sense from my point of view. I am not an expert in battles but from my point of view the battle was planned horribly!
First time in my life that I see that you put your soldiers in front of the trenches and spikes. The main purpose for spikes and trenches is to make your enemies slow down and have difficulties to advance on the battlefield.
Why you send the Dothrakis to get killed in a pitch black battlefield?
Why Danerys didn't send her 2 dragons as their first strike to burn as many white walkers as possible? Creating a wall of burning corpses in their first attack.
So now, Danerys and John snow will have to fight against Cersei's army without Dothrakis and without the Unsullied.
I said the same thing about sending the Dothrakis few posts earlier, it really made no sense for a defending side.
but Danearys and Jon not moving first made sense, she can't afford to lose another dragon and attack before spotting the night king

Reactions: impish
I'm gonna miss the show too, but I think HBO is gonna green light as many Westeros type shows as they possibly can to milk GRRM as long as they are fairly quality stuff. They've already cast and might have started shooting the first season of the new show allegedly about "The Long Night". So expect more White Walkers.

Reactions: Viggagadye
I'm gonna miss the show too, but I think HBO is gonna green light as many Westeros type shows as they possibly can to milk GRRM as long as they are fairly quality stuff. They've already cast and might have started shooting the first season of the new show allegedly about "The Long Night". So expect more White Walkers.

I'm not convinced these spin offs will be particularly good though. It reminds me of the amazing Lord of the Rings movies they made, and then they tried to stretch The Hobbit into 3 movies, which just didn't work IMO.

At least one of the prequel spin-offs has already been cancelled though.:(
https://www.slashfilm.com/bryan-cogmans-game-of-thrones-spin-off-isnt-happening/

Worst episode ever. Might even stop watching after this. So many ridiculous things happening. Firstly, can't see the battle properly in the whole episode, the dothrakis that took up like 3 seasons got wiped out in seconds (why charging into the darkness on the defensive end?), characters that seem to have 1,000,000 hp with 50,000 regen/sec (Yes, I am referring to Sam and Jamie and Brienne and whoever that is outside fighting 400 walkers by themself), and an assasin that managed to kill the boss mob who can even see the astral 3eyed raven but gets ambushed? Damn. Maybe it is just me.

Reactions: Tabanico
Yeah, it being too dark and confusing was my only real complaint about it. There's always going to be some....strategic trade-offs in the service of amping up the suspense. I think someone from GoT responded to complaints about it being too dark by saying people aren't setting up their TVs properly. It's like, asshole, there's people that watch HBO on tube TVs and there's people that watch HBO on their iPads. You need to make your show look at least GOOD on all those platforms.

Not sure there was a single second of the latest episode that wasn't 1000% stupid.

Reactions: impish
Why couldn't they see the ships? Being up so high is an huge advantage. Wwith only a front deck gun...........circle and come around from behind and light'm all up. Oh.....that would change the storyline quite a bit eh