Guest viewing is limited

Japan Vets: Were the Old Days Better and if so, How?

I do you one better; the first new year I spend in Tokyo I didn't realise I need to get cash beforehand and then had like four thousand yen for the whole week banks were closed. Good times!
I did the same thing. Fortunately had enough to stock up on cup noodles.

No. It was a strict FSA rule for security purposes. I believe even Citibank had to employ extra security to allow their ATM's to be open past the statutory time limits set forth.

It was a strict FSA rule for security purposes.
I was told it was the banks being concerned about nobody being around to provide customer service if there was a problem, or the machine ran out of cash, etc. - they were concerned with loss of face if a customer was unexpectedly inconvenienced, rather than predictably inconvenienced.

Apparently the real reason was that small regional banks didn't have the resources to operate 24 hour ATMs (back in the day it cost a lot more) so NOBODY was allowed to operate 24 hour ATMs - protection for the smaller banks to make sure they weren't crowded out of the market. Japanese banks aren't allowed to differentiate in price or product, only appearance and customer service levels. Now the smaller banks have access to the E-net ATM network, so they all have access to nationwide 24 hour ATMs - so no more restriction.

Citibank got a pass as they weren't technically a Japanese bank, but eventually they lost their consumer banking business after too many years of refusing to play ball by Japanese rules.

Another thing that sparked my memory. Anyone remember the Starbucks on the main Roppongi drag (the one next to McDonalds that was on the corner, but also now gone.. replaced by 24HR Izakaya)? We used to love getting window seats on the 2nd floor late at night and just watch the crowds on the sidewalks. IIRC, someone literally smashed the plate glass doors/windows on the first floor entrance at some point.

I'm glad Tsuru Tonton has survived, but Sushizanami just next to them just recently was closed and replaced with a hostess club? or maybe host club? Didn't get a good look.
Black Horse/911 is still an empty shell and the old Gaspanic is now some host/hostess club, maybe connected with that new one where Sushizanmai was.
Lol dude who remembers the 24 / 7 diner that used to be across the street from almond on the 2nd floor? THAT was a people watcher location. Also not terrible burgers…

Reactions: TAG Manager
No. It was a strict FSA rule for security purposes. I believe even Citibank had to employ extra security to allow their ATM's to be open past the statutory time limits set forth.
The original rule was that an ATM was a “human less teller” and had to follow the same rules as a teller window. Which is why there were inside etc.

The reason they closed (and still close) has to do with the daily batch run of the main frames that keep Japanese Banking in the 80s (same reason bank websites often can’t do much for an hour or two every afternoon.)

I was told it was the banks being concerned about nobody being around to provide customer service if there was a problem, or the machine ran out of cash, etc. - they were concerned with loss of face if a customer was unexpectedly inconvenienced, rather than predictably inconvenienced.

Apparently the real reason was that small regional banks didn't have the resources to operate 24 hour ATMs (back in the day it cost a lot more) so NOBODY was allowed to operate 24 hour ATMs - protection for the smaller banks to make sure they weren't crowded out of the market. Japanese banks aren't allowed to differentiate in price or product, only appearance and customer service levels. Now the smaller banks have access to the E-net ATM network, so they all have access to nationwide 24 hour ATMs - so no more restriction.

Citibank got a pass as they weren't technically a Japanese bank, but eventually they lost their consumer banking business after too many years of refusing to play ball by Japanese rules.

Citibank didn’t get a pass; they had a banking license. They just didn’t care about protecting the regional banks so once the rules were clarified that they COULD run 24/7 they did…and also broke a bunch of laws and finally lost their license (or failed to renew it. Same thing.)

In the end it was better for everyone bc now 7-11 is a bank and there are ATMs everywhere and everyone loves it. But I remember the president of MUFG going on tv saying “who the hell needs to withdraw cash at 2am?” And all the Japanese people around me going “uh…me after I been drinking all night missed the last train and need a taxi home that only takes cash?”

Lol dude who remembers the 24 / 7 diner that used to be across the street from almond on the 2nd floor? THAT was a people watcher location. Also not terrible burgers…

Johnny Rockets? That place was wonderful

Reactions: Cinnabums
It's still quite costly to operate ATM's in general; each machine has a stupidly high maintenance cost. The previous FSA rules didn't specify operating hours, but the language was directed that if you cannot securely operate your ATM at late hours, then you should close them to prevent "criminal activity".

Citibank didn’t get a pass; they had a banking license. They just didn’t care about protecting the regional banks so once the rules were clarified that they COULD run 24/7 they did…and also broke a bunch of laws and finally lost their license (or failed to renew it. Same thing.)
I just recall some story working its way around the industry that they had to do backflips to get that done. That said, I'm sure that every single foreign bank never really followed the rules 100%. Citi was just being themselves, American. 😆

The original rule was that an ATM was a “human less teller” and had to follow the same rules as a teller window. Which is why there were inside etc.
Thanks, I couldn't remember what it exactly was...

Reactions: Maxblack
The reason they closed (and still close) has to do with the daily batch run of the main frames that keep Japanese Banking in the 80s (same reason bank websites often can’t do much for an hour or two every afternoon.)
Don't you think the IT folks at Mizuho have a collective blood pressure rise on each business day when it's time for those batch runs to kickoff? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

(if you happen to work there, you have my deepest condolences...)

Last edited:
I just recall some story working its way around the industry that they had to do backflips to get that done. That said, I'm sure that every single foreign bank never really followed the rules 100%. Citi was just being themselves, American. 😆
Indeed they did. And once they did it everyone else followed because now there was precedent.

Reactions: TAG Manager
But I remember the president of MUFG going on tv saying “who the hell needs to withdraw cash at 2am?”
I remember that and actually, until now, thought it was the reason (not all the above FSA rules mentioned).

I thought he basically insinuated that anyone needing cash late at night was probably dodgy, so lets keep ATMs closed.

I learn a lot from this site.

A little off-topic but perhaps somewhat pertinent...does anyone here ever go walk past his/her original apartment in Japan?? The place it all started?

I have to admit, I do it every once in a while, maybe every other year, whenever it is I force myself to go back to Osaka. NOVA stuck me in shoebox 1K in some shithole cookie-cutter suburb just north of central Osaka. They probably paid around 25k/month and charged me 65k. I actually tolerated it for almost exactly a year before moving to another boring suburb into an absolute shithole building owned by some rich Japanese family that happily leased out their apartments to foreigners because no self-respecting Japanese would pay 55k to live there. But it was a large 2DK and I was all alone, so plenty of space and I no longer had to eat, sleep, smoke (I used to), masturbate and occasionally fuck in the same room. I was so fucking lazy I ended up staying there for my remaining years in Japan.

I have this recurring nightmare once or twice a year, where I wake up on the floor of that 2DK and the past nearly 14 years--coming home, getting on with life, having all these new careers and experiences, etc.--were just a dream, and it's 6:15am and a dreary gray morning and I've got to get up, shit, shower, shave, throw on my shirt and v-neck sweater and slacks and hop on my bicycle and rush to the train station because I can't be late for my 8am 2-nen listening comprehension class at the high school.

I think that's why I walk back to that old building when I'm back in Osaka, just so I can prove to my wary sub-conscience that I really don't live there anymore. I stand underneath the balcony and stare up for a few moments then walk back to the station. Not sure what the deal is but the landlord never rented that unit out again and it's been empty all these years. My MUJI drapes are still hanging on the windows, my Daiei clothesline is still hanging across the balcony, the old plant pot where I put out my cigarettes is still on the patio shelf and I can see my old "Hikari Fiber Internet" hardware coming out of the wall and dangling in the bedroom. Sometimes I'm tempted to let myself in (it's so easy to break into Japanese apartments) just to have an overdose of nostalgia. In Osaka, time really can stand still.

A little off-topic but perhaps somewhat pertinent...does anyone here ever go walk past his/her original apartment in Japan?? The place it all started?

I have to admit, I do it every once in a while, maybe every other year, whenever it is I force myself to go back to Osaka. NOVA stuck me in shoebox 1K in some shithole cookie-cutter suburb just north of central Osaka. They probably paid around 25k/month and charged me 65k. I actually tolerated it for almost exactly a year before moving to another boring suburb into an absolute shithole building owned by some rich Japanese family that happily leased out their apartments to foreigners because no self-respecting Japanese would pay 55k to live there. But it was a large 2DK and I was all alone, so plenty of space and I no longer had to eat, sleep, smoke (I used to), masturbate and occasionally fuck in the same room. I was so fucking lazy I ended up staying there for my remaining years in Japan.

I have this recurring nightmare once or twice a year, where I wake up on the floor of that 2DK and the past nearly 14 years--coming home, getting on with life, having all these new careers and experiences, etc.--were just a dream, and it's 6:15am and a dreary gray morning and I've got to get up, shit, shower, shave, throw on my shirt and v-neck sweater and slacks and hop on my bicycle and rush to the train station because I can't be late for my 8am 2-nen listening comprehension class at the high school.

I think that's why I walk back to that old building when I'm back in Osaka, just so I can prove to my wary sub-conscience that I really don't live there anymore. I stand underneath the balcony and stare up for a few moments then walk back to the station. Not sure what the deal is but the landlord never rented that unit out again and it's been empty all these years. My MUJI drapes are still hanging on the windows, my Daiei clothesline is still hanging across the balcony, the old plant pot where I put out my cigarettes is still on the patio shelf and I can see my old "Hikari Fiber Internet" hardware coming out of the wall and dangling in the bedroom. Sometimes I'm tempted to let myself in (it's so easy to break into Japanese apartments) just to have an overdose of nostalgia. In Osaka, time really can stand still.
1668150792631.png

A little off-topic but perhaps somewhat pertinent...does anyone here ever go walk past his/her original apartment in Japan??

Of course not. At least I am not walking the stairs up to the fifth floor to see if someone lives there now. Because they now have a lock in the entrance door in the first.

Sometimes I'm tempted to let myself in (it's so easy to break into Japanese apartments) just to have an overdose of nostalgia.

I once forgot the keys inside and climbed to the roof of the neighbouring building to get in through my window. Around 10 years ago when I walked past last time I was looking at that gap between the buildings and realised it is almost two meters.

So to get back to the original theme, yes the olden times were much better as I was way fitter and crazier back then. Now I would not even consider trying that jump and even less achieving it. Maybe except in hopes of falling down and offing myself.

Reactions: Sudsy and Keihan
oes anyone here ever go walk past his/her original apartment in Japan?? The place it all started?
I've driven by both of the apartments I used to live in... The first one was a guesthouse, but I had a private room, so I guess that counts? That building is still there but it has been converted to something else years ago. My last apartment, where I was the longest, is still there. It was newly built when I moved in, 12 floors and modern. The building of course is still there but the name has changed twice since I was there. Looks like owners/management firms have changed a few times as well. Price hasn't changed though... still 12-14 man/month.

Does anyone drive by places where they've had sex before that wasn't a love hotel?
Oh, is that just me?
😆 😆 😆

Reactions: Keihan
Dude, you're drunker than I am (but in my defense, I'm drinking seltzers tonight). I'm assuming this was supposed to be a response to my rant about Cruz/Desantis in the thread about our next POTUS??
Nahhh....I just saw you posted something after I read that. Went back and got it just for you. Wanted to place it somewhere else but........

Reactions: Keihan
I've driven by both of the apartments I used to live in... The first one was a guesthouse, but I had a private room, so I guess that counts? That building is still there but it has been converted to something else years ago. My last apartment, where I was the longest, is still there. It was newly built when I moved in, 12 floors and modern. The building of course is still there but the name has changed twice since I was there. Looks like owners/management firms have changed a few times as well. Price hasn't changed though... still 12-14 man/month.

Does anyone drive by places where they've had sex before that wasn't a love hotel?
Oh, is that just me?
😆 😆 😆
Do cemeteries count? Wait, I don't drive so nevermind.

14 years? How old were you when you got here? I need to get high on copium that 30-31 isn't too late to put the work in to move and live here permanently.

Bacchus, Mandarin Club, Climax, Kagi, Beauty and the Beast, Roppongi Jail

If you know and have been to any of these you are old and a perv. 😉
Ahh Bacchus. One of the hostesses gave me a blow job in a booth and then gave me her number asking me to go see her DJ in Daikanyama. All before I was given a bill for some silly amount. Was 20 years ago, but I think it may have been 50k. Luckily a friend fronted me, to which I immediately went to that Citibank atm.

Ahh Bacchus. One of the hostesses gave me a blow job in a booth and then gave me her number asking me to go see her DJ in Daikanyama. All before I was given a bill for some silly amount. Was 20 years ago, but I think it may have been 50k. Luckily a friend fronted me, to which I immediately went to that Citibank atm.

You have some incredible DNA brother. You do not look anything like you would have been partaking in such debauchery that long ago with ancient degenerates like me. Yeah I think it was 6k (before 25%-30% surcharge) per 5 minutes. Or something crazy. Maybe more. 🤔

Reactions: Cinnabums

Oh, is that just me?
😆 😆 😆
You have some incredible DNA brother. You do not look anything like you would have been partaking in such debauchery that long ago with ancient degenerates like me. Yeah I think it was 6k (before 25%-30% surcharge) per 5 minutes. Or something crazy. Maybe more. 🤔
It was the first time I went to a hostess club. 2 J coworkers took me. One of them, was there at least twice a week.
Pretty sure my insides will say otherwise. Have the Covid, so taking this opportunity to stop the recreational smoking and cut off the hard liquor.

Could have been. I didn’t know what I was walking into that night. 2 j-coworkers took me, one who was a very frequent patron. He got angry because nothing ever happened to him, and thought he was getting strung along. Yeah…. That’s the point… Eventually, someone came through, and he got an sti from them.