Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should just toss in that "we should survey foreigners about racism" is not exactly indicative of "we are totally not racist".

My brother has lived in Japan for 25 years and has about 1000 stories on the subject...few of them positive...

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Undoubtedly there is racism in Japan. But as long as they show it by odd coughing instead of, for example, pinning me on a cross and burning I think I can take it.

Another thing is some people seem to encounter more racists Japanese in one week than I have managed in three decades.

For some people the pint is half full, for some it is half empty. For me it's mostly all empty as I just gulped it down because it's time to head for the love hotel.

Yes, I realize that odd coughing is better than being crucified lol. My point is there aren't many posts like this from others stating this. At least in this post, you admit that my experiences aren't just "hallucinations" lol.

I read some of your posts where you mention that you are a big guy right? Well, maybe people are too scared to try all this shit on you because you would just snap them in two lol. Oh I drink too believe me.

Can I be honest here, and don't mean to cause offense, but in my personal opinion there are 2 types of foreigners here.

1. Those who adapt themselves to living here. Some go overboard and try to become "too Japanese", but most find a nice balance where they have their position in society and generally are respected for it.

2. Those who expect Japan and Japanese to adapt to them. They don't learn the language, they constantly mouth off about the place, and (relating to this thread) get hyper sensitive to any real or imagined slight.

I'm not denying that racism does exist here, but like @whocares brother I too have lived here for over 25 years and the instances of racism (not including getting rejected from Fuzoku establishments) has been minimal.If I have to put a number on it, I'd say maybe 15-20, so less than 1 per year.

There is absolutely no point in attacking the person you think is coughing at you (or staring, or any other passive action), all you do is reinforce the image they already have. Positive engagement is way more successful in destroying stereotypes. And if that doesn't work, then realizing that there are dickheads in every country on the globe is the way forward.

Of course there are passive - aggressive people in Japan. But people with this personality trait may not be racists, they may well be that way with everyone.

Last edited:
Undoubtedly there is racism in Japan. But as long as they show it by odd coughing instead of, for example, pinning me on a cross and burning I think I can take it.

I agree. There is surely plenty of racism in Japan, and it can be a significant problem in some contexts (e.g., landlords who will only rent to Japanese), but what you might call street-racism is so mild and gentle in Japan that I can never see why it bothers anyone. It is not like it is hard to ignore; in fact it is so subtle that it is easy to miss if you aren't paying close attention.

-Ww

I agree. There is surely plenty of racism in Japan, and it can be a significant problem in some contexts (e.g., landlords who will only rent to Japanese), but what you might call street-racism is so mild and gentle in Japan that I can never see why it bothers anyone. It is not like it is hard to ignore; in fact it is so subtle that it is easy to miss if you aren't paying close attention.

-Ww

You are still thinking like a westerner. The entire Japanese culture is subtle, so what is "easy to miss" to a westerner is not at all easy to miss by Japanese people around you. I will agree that physical and direct confrontations are much worse, but that doesn't excuse the fact that many Japanese are "subtly" giving you shit and laughing about the fact that you aren't able to catch on, while an entire train car knows what is going on. These people are probably trying to point out to other Japanese just how bad non-Japanese are at "reading the air". Look it up, it is a big part of Japanese culture and it is used when people are showing racism/xenophobia.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
You are still thinking like a westerner. The entire Japanese culture is subtle, so what is "easy to miss" to a westerner is not at all easy to miss by Japanese people around you. I will agree that physical and direct confrontations are much worse, but that doesn't excuse the fact that many Japanese are "subtly" giving you shit and laughing about the fact that you aren't able to catch on, while an entire train car knows what is going on. These people are probably trying to point out to other Japanese just how bad non-Japanese are at "reading the air". Look it up, it is a big part of Japanese culture and it is used when people are showing racism/xenophobia.
... maybe. To paraphrase my Sensei on TAG ;) , "over many years and experiences here" I encountered what you described only 5 or 6 times maybe. And since it is subtle indeed we can just chose to ignore it, not such a big deal is it?

Reactions: Wwanderer and MikeH
Why do you give a shit of a person is "subtly" giving you shit? Why is this even an issue?
I give my friends "actual" shit all the time and we laugh about it.

According to your post, the whole train car knows about it... Sorry mate but I'm calling bullshit on that one. No one on the train gives a shit. They are all listening to music or tapping on their iPhones. The most passive-aggressive thing on the trains is the length people go to ignore the people around them.

You are still thinking like a westerner.

And so are you. You are getting pissed and ready to confront every real and imagined hint of racism. A person thinking like Japanese would just move on with his life or at least trying his best to avoid any and all confrontation.

But then, surprisingly, it might be just because, horror, we are all westerners. I am though trying my best to act like Japanese and even now I am coughing oddly at your general direction.

And so are you. You are getting pissed and ready to confront every real and imagined hint of racism. A person thinking like Japanese would just move on with his life or at least trying his best to avoid any and all confrontation.

But then, surprisingly, it might be just because, horror, we are all westerners. I am though trying my best to act like Japanese and even now I am coughing oddly at your general direction.

Why don't you cough oddly at other Japanese. That would be energy better spent.

Last edited:
Japanese wouldn't give any reaction. You on the other hand are easy prey. Admittedly almost too easy, but still enjoyable.

People keep making the mistake that it bothers me mainly because they are being racist/xenophobic, while the main reason I don't like it is because they could spread their germs to me.

Keep your sicknesses to yourselves please. Then again, those bastards can spread them among themselves.

Their reaction would be a subtle and very Japanese reaction. Your western mind only thinks that they would give "no reaction" in that your only idea of a reaction is some physical response.

People keep making the mistake that it bothers me mainly because they are being racist/xenophobic, while the main reason I don't like it is because they could spread their germs to me.

Keep your sicknesses to yourselves please. Then again, those bastards can spread them among themselves.

And you're fine meeting their daughters or sisters as providers?!
Hey you can get more germs just with a kiss and blow job! :D

Reactions: Garcian and MikeH
And you're fine meeting their daughters or sisters as providers?!
Hey you can get more germs just with a kiss and blow job! :D

Yes, but at least getting a blowjob feels great while having some old, racist bastard cough at my face doesn't. Actually, the amount of germs spread doesn't matter as much as what infections are being spread.

Yes std's are bad but there are a ton of dangerous infections spread by just coughing. ;)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Greetings all!

I've lived in Japan for a total of two years and I can say confidently that these things will happen on a daily basis to certain types of foreigner who do not fit into the Japanese image in society. It happens so often that if the Japanese were any more direct with their tactics you would literally feel like being rocked around a pinball machine whenever you go out.

It strongly highlights the Japanese attitudes towards foreigners at the present, but I want to believe in time things will get better, it is a process that just takes time.

The majority of Japanese who behave in this way are usually the older generation, but not limited to though. Young people who have grown up using the internet have access to foreign ideas and thought realise that there's a lot more to the world than Japan, and it's slowing melting the us/them mentality when we have access to more technology and apps allow us to communicate with people globally. But this of course I do not mean it will completely eradicate these problems instantly as there are many historical and cultural factors at play which contribute to the issue, but it should slowly ease up a bit with time.

Some have said that Japan is a first world infrastructure inhabited by people with a third world mindset and that the people just have not had enough time to catch up with the rest of the world yet.

No doubt that the acceptance of foreigners in the country will see a gradual increase. It's inevitable and I think most would agree on that. But in the meantime, racism and/or discrimination is real and it happens. Not much you can do but just take it in stride and move on.

I don't expect to be treated the same as a Japanese because I'm not one nor would I want to be if given the choice (not even for access to all the Japanese only P4P spots :D). I prefer the concept of mutual respect, which in all honesty is a challenge for both sides. I haven't been in Japan long enough to say whether or not such a thing is possible so for me it remains to be seen.

Calm down, take a few deep breaths. Think about your happy place and with each breath, draw yourself closer and closer and closer to that happy place.

Most importantly, don't listen to that little man on your shoulder. He is not your friend.

man on shoulder.jpg

There is also something to be said about the times we can get treated BETTER (or say, more leniently ) than Japanese people themselves BECAUSE we are foreigners .
Never happened to you ? Or is it taken for granted ?

Reactions: Wwanderer and MikeH
There is also something to be said about the times we can get treated BETTER (or say, more leniently ) than Japanese people themselves BECAUSE we are foreigners .

I believe most people take it for granted but you know you are real hardcore when you'll complain about that too!

Reactions: Wwanderer
Ah ah, yeah, like "I feel SO offended this lady proposed me to help find my way on the street, it's really condescending !" :)

That girl at the cash register said "Thank you" to me in English! Japanese people are so racist!

Never happened to you ? Or is it taken for granted ?

I'm sure it's a lot of little things that get taken for granted. Like not having to be literate or know where you are or how to get where you're going because someone will help you, lol.

Speaking of that, I must come off as a really lost dude because people keep running up to me in the street and try to get me to follow them :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Wwanderer
Some have said that Japan is a first world infrastructure inhabited by people with a third world mindset and that the people just have not had enough time to catch up with the rest of the world yet.
This sounds like bullshit to me.

Whats a "third world mindset"?
Does any country that doesn't have a western mindset have a third world mindset?

If you'd ask me to guess what "third world mindset" means i would say for example
- people who make a lot of kids because they hope their kids will take care of them later
- village people who are happy with the small things in life and not materialistic
- and some people who work very hard, are completely relentless and do everything they can do escape poverty

None of this is Japanese at all, i'd even say Japanese people are exactly the opposite of this. Low childbirth, unhappy and not very ambitious (rather being a salaryman than starting your own company for example).

So what do they mean? Racism?
As far as i know, third world countries are not racist, except for trying to scam tourists excessively.

No doubt that the acceptance of foreigners in the country will see a gradual increase. It's inevitable and I think most would agree on that. But in the meantime, racism and/or discrimination is real and it happens. Not much you can do but just take it in stride and move on.

I don't expect to be treated the same as a Japanese because I'm not one nor would I want to be if given the choice (not even for access to all the Japanese only P4P spots :D). I prefer the concept of mutual respect, which in all honesty is a challenge for both sides. I haven't been in Japan long enough to say whether or not such a thing is possible so for me it remains to be seen.
I really wouldn't want to be treated like a Japanese, I think Japanese take a lot more shit and social pressure than most of the non Asian foreigners.
And I precise "non Asian" because there is clearly a difference of treatment compared to the western people and I'm glad I'm seen as a western guy here.

Concerning the P4P scene I don't really care if they ban foreigners, I'm not interested for paying for a Japanese, they aren't a rarity in this country and I can have Play4Free with them so if I had to pay I'd actually prefer a foreigner provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.