Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never mentioned anything about rape.

What you've said is a strawman fallacy where you try and refute my claims with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of my argument.

Just because it doesn't or hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I never mentioned anything about rape.

What you've said is a strawman fallacy where you try and refute my claims with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of my argument.

Just because it doesn't or hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people.
You're pulling a strawman yourself with "japan treats foreigners and women like shit"

Japan is NOT worse in this than other countries, and some third world countries also treat women and foreigner better than some first world countries.

What makes a country a third world country is if its a rich or a poor country, not the way it treats foreigners and women.

The topic is Japan, not other countries, so we don't need to make comparisons with "what other country is better or more welcoming to foreigners" as it's not the issue here.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Another thing is some people seem to encounter more racists Japanese in one week than I have managed in three decades.
No shit. I've been here the same length of time and the only time I notice racism is when I'm trying to find a place to live. I've come to the conclusion that has more to do with fear of language issues and visa status than actual race.

I've never once had someone sitting next to me on the train move to another seat for what I thought were racial reasons. Yeah , sure people move to a better seat. I do the same. When I read about all of these supposed racial issues on here I wonder how many are imagined or people bring on themselves. I've got a buddy who's been thrown in jail overnight a number or times. He claims it's racism. The truth is he's just an ugly drunk and starts shit. If he pulled the same shit in the US he'd get a serious ass kicking, and deservedly so.

I once got introduced to a guy at a party... mostly because we were the only foreigners other than the Koreans. He went on and on about how terrible it is to be white in Japan, and how impossible it is for him to make friends. I really wanted to tell him, you can't make friends because you're a black hole of negativity and it is, shall we say, very spiritually taxing just being around you.

Some people aren't meant for adventure, or leaving their home town. They lack the broadness of mind and spirit and implode into an angry ball of fingerpointing when things don't meet their expectations.

while i never had any racism happening against me, now that someone mentioned the treatment of women, i do see and hear a lot of sexual harassment, at least once or twice a week... though i never noticed any of that against foreign women, except for talking behind their backs...
i also had to step in physically a few weeks ago to stop violent behaviour against a woman... but again, not against a foreign woman...

ive never seen japan as racist anyway, they just tend to keep most people out... in my experience not only foreigners, but also other japanese...

The topic is Japan, not other countries, so we don't need to make comparisons with "what other country is better or more welcoming to foreigners" as it's not the issue here.
Kinda hypocritical when you bring up the point that many feel the Japanese have a "third world mindset", no? You're literally "comparing" how Japan treats women and foreigners with other countries.

But sure, sexism and racism exists in Japan. The shocking thing is, if you replace "Japan" with any other country and I'm sure the statement will always still be true. And as User#8628 pointed out, I wouldn't go as far as to say that what you find in Japan comes even close to "third world" levels of sexism/racism.

I grew up being fascinated by the Japanese as well but now in my adult years, I've had to face some unpleasant realities.
Growing up when animes such as Dragonball and Sailormoon were being broadcast in North America, I've witnessed countless number of people who thought highly of Japan and its culture. Flattering sure, but never understood how they came to the conclusion that Japan was such an "amazing" place.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Growing up when animes such as Dragonball and Sailormoon were being broadcast in North America, I've witnessed countless number of people who thought highly of Japan and its culture. Flattering sure, but never understood how they came to the conclusion that Japan was such an "amazing" place.

In many ways, Japan IS an amazing place. That's not hard to see, whether your a kid or an adult. It's not just the anime and pop culture, there are many other appealing things about it (hard work, ideas of bushido, advanced tech, food, education, etc.)

To be honest, nothing I've encountered so far has changed my opinion that it is an amazing place. It's just a bit different than expected. No country is perfect so this shouldn't be that much of a surprise if one were to think about it that way.

Oh I agree. I don't think I can ever picture myself living there, but I love visiting Japan and taking everything in. I just meant "amazing", as in it's some kind of utopia that has little to no flaws.
I've only started picturing myself living in Japan once I started my remote job. I feel great in this country but I don't think I could fit in a Japanese kaisha.

I don't think I could fit in a Japanese kaisha.

True in many cases though there is a HUGE difference if you enter straight from university or as a mid-career change. Have done and especially seen many examples of both and the latter is very survivable and even enjoyable to many foreigners too.

Fwiiw, I have never been made to feel more welcome and at home anywhere in the world (on six continents and in about 50 countries) than in Japan...and that includes my home country (the US) where I am widely regarded as a bit odd/unusual at best. I think Japan is a difficult/demanding place to live for the Japanese but is wonderful for many foreigners.

-Ww

Last edited:
I've only started picturing myself living in Japan once I started my remote job. I feel great in this country but I don't think I could fit in a Japanese kaisha.
Or any service oriented job for that matter. It always amazes me how "polite" some of the workers can be, but I would imagine that I'd go insane if I had to act like that all the time. Or god help you if you work as a cashier or something, having to listen to the store's jingle a million times a day.
1388991130089.jpg

Bic bic bic bic Camera!!!

Or any service oriented job for that matter. It always amazes me how "polite" some of the workers can be, but I would imagine that I'd go insane if I had to act like that all the time. Or god help you if you work as a cashier or something, having to listen to the store's jingle a million times a day.
1388991130089.jpg

Bic bic bic bic Camera!!!
Exactly my thoughts. I would go insane and murder someone if i had to hear the bic camera song all day!
I also dont understand how they can be so overly polite the whole day. Retail workers in my country can stand up for themselves and not take shit from customers. I dont understand how Japanese retail workers can stay so polite but also be so unhelpful and silly many times. Its almost like they are on calming drugs or something.

I know i would really lose my temper in such a job sooner or later.
I like to work with people, but i do like to connect with them on a deeper level, not like retail. I also like how with SW the connections are very mutual, you can guide someone to your sensitive spots and get to know theirs, its a different experience with everyone and something special you share together.

Exactly my thoughts. I would go insane and murder someone if i had to hear the bic camera song all day!
Its almost like they are on calming drugs or something.

That same thought has passed through my mind soooo many times in day-to-day life in Japan.

It blows my mind that people are bothered when some Japanese person stares at them or coughs in their direction or some such macro-aggression. I'd definitely go macro-aggression big time within weeks if I had to do one of the jobs most of them hold down for most of their adult lives! Not to mention their commutes at rush hour... :eek::censored:

-Ww

Last edited:
Fwiiw, I have never been made to feel more welcome and at home anywhere in the world (on six continents and in about 50 countries) than in Japan...and that includes my home country (the US) where I am widely regarded as a bit odd/unusual at best. I think Japan is a difficult/demanding place to live for the Japanese but is wonderful for many foreigners.

-Ww

I agree, but did you actually live in Japan for extended periods ? (More than a year?)
The experience can feel a bit different if you just come to Tokyo for short stays, even multiple ones. Not necessarily "worse" , can be even better once you speak the language etc..., but in any case different.

I agree, but did you actually live in Japan for extended periods ? (More than a year?)
The experience can feel a bit different if you just come to Tokyo for short stays, even multiple ones. Not necessarily "worse" , can be even better once you speak the language etc..., but in any case different.

No, not for more than a year continuously, but on the other hand it has been decades since I lived in *any* country for a year continuously. My choice of screen name is not unmotivated! I have spent more than a half of some years in Japan though. So, I am at least making an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

But in any case, your point is valid. I know a lot of expats, some of whom have lived here for decades, and I can see that their experiences and perceptions differ from mine somewhat. My professional, financial and personal circumstances are also a bit unusual (some might say "very unusual"), and that affects my opinions on the matter as well, no doubt.

That said, I also know expats in other countries, and as far as I can judge, long-term Western expats in Japan are at least as happy with it as a home as those in similar circumstances in other countries, probably more so if anything.

-Ww

all the shop clerks stay so calm
and polite because otherwise they would loose their jobs... that is usually a good argument for everything...
if the staff isnt behaving polite towards customers they are going to loose customers, that is the only reason for that politeness in the first place...
i got to do the same thing, too, a few days a week and i am not even a member of the sales staff... i dont like that either, but mainly because it often keeps me from working, but you somehow get used to it...
i also got to say that not even my
boss likes that overpolite behaviour, but he has to do it, so whatever, it stops at 8pm...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Status
Not open for further replies.