Guest viewing is limited

Why Group Dates & Meeting Her Friends Could Be Bad

And when was it "dishonest" to learn how to get better at doing something? Trying to say PUA is dishonest, is like claiming exercising and losing weight is "dishonest".
Ahhhhh.........not debating what my comment was and trying to change it into something else......is this your new style? Is exercising all about losing weight? Where did "I" say that PUA was dishonest???

Reactions: Wwanderer
Ahhhhh.........not debating what my comment was and trying to change it into something else......is this your new style? Is exercising all about losing weight? Where did "I" say that PUA was dishonest???
You appear to be not following the line of original comments. Ww, said P4P was more honest than PUA. Then went on further, as if PUA is more about deception in general.... I stated there was nothing honest about paying a woman to pretend to like you. And that PUA is fundamentally about improvement of technique.

You then changed that into me talking about paying for services, as if that was the original point I was making. I don't pay a taxi driver to give me a "girlfriend experience" or to make me feel like I'm driving a Porsche. Doing so would be clearly asking the taxi driver to participate in a delusion. And don't skip over the part of delusion or escapism.

If a man is very fat and overweight, and can't get a girlfriend, paying for women to pretend to be his girlfriend can be a way of hiding from his problem. It's like turning to drugs or alcohol, to escape dealing with problems or a situation.

The PUA is asked to confront and be honest with himself. If he is fat, then time to go to the gym. If he smells, time to take a shower. He looks at ways to improve himself and get better outcomes. He learns to do honest self-assessment, versus throw money at a problem.

Furthermore, not every man finds sex for money satisfying. When your time is up, the prostitute wants you out, and wants to get ready for the next customer. She doesn't love or truly care about you, she loves the money. Show up with no money, and you are getting no sex. She pretends to like you and only deals with you, for money.

A PUA is entering real relationships, where the outcome is based on how much he and her truly like each other. If the woman wants to have sex with you or do a particular sex act, that's her genuine feeling.

Last edited:
(sigh) I should have just kept my mouth shut........but you know I can't......:)

I was a season ticket holder for 8 years for NY Ranger hockey games......every year "We" moved down a little closer to the ice when opportunities developed (paying for better season tickets). The last 3 years we had really nice seats, 13 rows up from the home blue line bench side. Just below us was this really big guy.....I mean really over weight.....and he had 4 seats. I didn't go to every game (as there was 8 of us and only 4 seats) but every time I was there, so was he. He and a different hottie every night. Just him and the hottie in those 4 seats.......he didn't have any problem from my point of view. He didn't need to try and sweet talk anybody....
Money talks in the world we live in. Yea, if you've got the gift of gab and have a somewhat decent look you can pull'm in......but they don't seem to last do they? Yea, sure, I know everything ends......as I've said before.....everyone has their way of achieving (hopefully) what their after......can't we just leave it at that?
Maybe I've just been lucky in life......I don't know......

Reactions: Muku1 and Wwanderer

From what I know, yours appears to be an uncommonly great life in terms of relationships and experiences with women, among other ways.

-Ww

Last edited:
Reactions: just4fun
Successful PUA:
Skills / career ---> Money and women ----> lots of money left for whatever else I want besides sex
Learn what this means. Or, put simply "it's cheaper as long as your time is worth nothing"

And when was it "dishonest" to learn how to get better at doing something? Trying to say PUA is dishonest, is like claiming exercising and losing weight is "dishonest".

@just4fun is correct. This is a change of topic. I was *never* talking about whether a guy was being honest with *himself* in p4p or PUA. I thought it was obvious, but I guess I should have been more explicit.

When I said that PUA is dishonest I was talking about dishonesty between the man and the woman, specifically that the guy routinely tries to deceive the woman starting with coming up with some fabricated reason to start talking to her in the first place. To be fair, I don't know if actual PUA is as duplicitous as it sounds, but PUA "literature" is full of advice about how to mislead and sometimes trick the women involved. It also appears to involve massive lying by omission.

By contrast, p4p most often involves a straight forward business transaction between the man and woman which both understand perfectly clearly...just buying a service as @just4fun points out. Of course it can involve self-deception or denial for the monger (to revert to this empty type of argument), but that is definitely not the usual/normal case. It is just popular media and anti-sex industry stereotyping.

-Ww

guy routinely tries to deceive the woman starting with coming up with some fabricated reason to start talking to her in the first place. To be fair, I don't know if actual PUA is as duplicitous as it sounds, but PUA "literature" is full of advice about how to mislead the women involved.

I'm glad you bring this up, and would love to hear specifically what literature you're referring to. I strongly disagree with a lot of Western PUA advice and literature, especially the more hardcore "Red Pill" / "MRA" type guys. There are some guys who go around lashing out as women and using this type of men-first belligerence as a substitute for real, controlled masculine energy. Not only is Western PUA material ineffective in Japan, it's often aggressive and uncalibrated. I personally think a fully honest approach is not only the most ethical, but also the most brutally effective.

concepts such as "success rate", "yield" and "batting averages"

Believe me, I too wish I could purge this from the PUA thought sphere. Focusing on these things is horrible..

I wonder if you accept that it also has downsides/disadvantages and that it is not a good approach for everyone...and is probably not the only way that you personally could have achieved whatever success it has brought you.

Hmm, there are downsides. I suppose the largest being the time investment but for myself I can't really imagine any other way. Perhaps you could enlighten me? Please don't come back with "Go and get rich and then pay for sex."

Learn what this means. Or, put simply "it's cheaper as long as your time is worth nothing"

Yes, I understand your point. It doesn't even have to be worth nothing for it to be worth it.

A recent review of a health provider was billed at 100,000JPY. I typically like to have sex 4 nights a week minimum. Multiplied by 4 weeks a month and that equals roughly 1,600,000, or about half of the yearly salary of an entry-level Japanese salaryman for one month of sex. I was going to go into a drawn-out calculation of this, but neither I nor you care that much realistically since neither of us is really going to change our ways. In short, if you are significantly strapped for time (presumably you work really long hours or have other large, very important time commitments like a family) AND make a significant amount of money, then yes,mongering is the right choice! (y)

If you are still single, have a lot of time you are wasting on other activities which don't provide growth/value (like watching TV/movies, playing video games, mindlessly getting drunk, other "entertainment", etc), or if you don't have buckets of cash lying around then it's likely more effective and valuable to spend your time doing pickup. Basically I don't see successful, time-crunched, wealthy, married guys as the ones who are going to get into pickup, obviously. So one thing to consider in these debates is that guys who:

-have time
-don't have lots of money
-take their self-improvement seriously

are going to be fundamentally at odds with guys who:

-don't have much time
-have lots of money lying around
-don't particularly care about improving with women

And that's not a bad thing! Different stages of life. Of course, if you're older and have a career you should generally have a lot more spending money and perhaps even a wife/family. You guys aren't the ones who "pickup" is marketed at, just like younger guys who can get laid anywhere, anytime aren't the one's the delivery health industry is targeted at either. I think its important to keep this in mind - many differences of opinion here are due to these factors. But just because we're at different places in life with different goals doesn't mean we should be throwing mud or getting into personal attacks - that's just childish.

The guys who I would like to see give pickup a try are guys who go to prostitutes despite not really having the budget for it (spending too much / too often / irresponsibly), who feel like going to a prostitute is their only option for getting laid, or who have lots of time they are wasting doing non-productive things. These are the guys who could seriously benefit from it. So yeah, I don't really see pickup and prostitution as conflicting or opposing at all. Actually, they serve fundamentally different needs and markets.

@Sinapse - I have to again ask your patience for adequate responses, juggling the holidays and a half dozen SBs here.

For one example of PUAs advocating lying, there was a recent thread (can't recall it's title off hand) in which @Solong and I debated whether a married man (or a man in a committed relationship) should or shouldn't lie to a woman about it. One of us suggested that it would be better to get her to think you are single/available *at least* until after you slept with her. The other thought it best to be up front about it from the very start. You can try to guess which of us said which if you wish. I'm sure there are better examples even on TAG though...and much better elsewhere.

Meanwhile, check this out:

http://www.flirtingstyles.com/sites/all/r/pdf/hall_and_canterberry_2011.pdf

An apparently bona fide academic study of PUA, centering on what sorts of women it works on and which it does not, I think. I haven't read it (yet), but maybe of interest to anyone seriously into the PUA stuff (i.e., not me).

-Ww

Reactions: just4fun
(sigh) I should have just kept my mouth shut........but you know I can't......:)

I was a season ticket holder for 8 years for NY Ranger hockey games......every year "We" moved down a little closer to the ice when opportunities developed (paying for better season tickets). The last 3 years we had really nice seats, 13 rows up from the home blue line bench side. Just below us was this really big guy.....I mean really over weight.....and he had 4 seats. I didn't go to every game (as there was 8 of us and only 4 seats) but every time I was there, so was he. He and a different hottie every night. Just him and the hottie in those 4 seats.......he didn't have any problem from my point of view. He didn't need to try and sweet talk anybody....
Money talks in the world we live in. Yea, if you've got the gift of gab and have a somewhat decent look you can pull'm in......but they don't seem to last do they? Yea, sure, I know everything ends......as I've said before.....everyone has their way of achieving (hopefully) what their after......can't we just leave it at that?

I didn't nor did any PUA I've seen say that money isn't important. This is twisting and convoluting 2 different points. A PUA can have money in his pocket too. A monger and a PUA can have the same job or the same net worth.

A prostitute lasts as long as the money you are directly paying her. So it's odd to attempt to make this a counter-point about PUA, when the relationship with a prostitute can last 1 hour and minus 500 dollars.

Women that you have real relationships with, and via PUA too, can last for the rest of your life or as long as you both decide.

@Sinapse - I have to again ask your patience for adequate responses, juggling the holidays and a half dozen SBs here.

For one example of PUAs advocating lying, there was a recent thread (can't recall it's title off hand) in which @Solong and I debated whether a married man (or a man in a committed relationship) should or shouldn't lie to a woman about it. One of us suggested that it would be better to get her to think you are single/available *at least* until after you slept with her. The other thought it best to be up front about it from the very start. You can try to guess which of us said which if you wish. I'm sure there are better examples even on TAG though...and much better elsewhere.

Meanwhile, check this out:

http://www.flirtingstyles.com/sites/all/r/pdf/hall_and_canterberry_2011.pdf

An apparently bona fide academic study of PUA, centering on what sorts of women it works on and which it does not, I think. I haven't read it (yet), but maybe of interest to anyone seriously into the PUA stuff (i.e., not me).

-Ww

There are so many views and ways to spin something. I'm just saying it comes down to the individual. Mongering and PUA are just tools, in a toolbox.

Check this out. Prostitutes tell their horror stories.

http://sexslavery.weebly.com/horror-stories.html

http://www.psychforums.com/sexual-addiction/topic89123.html
(addicted to prostitutes and seeking help)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/11/sexual-healing-prostitution-brothels
(addicted to prostitutes and seeking help)

You and I both know that game. We can easily always pull material that supports our point of view. So rather that route, I'm saying use the tool or method that is best for you.

Last edited:
I didn't nor did any PUA I've seen say that money isn't important. This is twisting and convoluting 2 different points. A PUA can have money in his pocket too. A monger and a PUA can have the same job or the same net worth.

A prostitute lasts as long as the money you are directly paying her. So it's odd to attempt to make this a counter-point about PUA, when the relationship with a prostitute can last 1 hour and minus 500 dollars.

Women that you have real relationships with, and via PUA too, can last for the rest of your life or as long as you both decide.
When you come right down to it........they all are selling something.......

Yes, in a way this is true. Because on both sides of the equation (monger or PUA), the woman can be possibly exchanging sex for material gain. Be it money directly, or indirectly through socioeconomic status and comfort (hypergamy).

Last edited:
I rephrased it a bit, to better get my point across. Use the best tool or method for you. One guys prefers Kick-Boxing, while another prefers Wrestling. It's not which is better than the other, it's which of you is better at using one or the other. And if it works for you, be happy. No need to bash the other side. Hell, mix Kick-Boxing and Wrestling together and use them both.

I rephrased it a bit, to better get my point across. Use the best tool or method for you. One guys prefers Kick-Boxing, while another prefers Wrestling. It's not which is better than the other, it's which of you is better at using one or the other. And if it works for you, be happy. No need to bash the other side. Hell, mix Kick-Boxing and Wrestling together and use them both.
I've always said this......to each their own.....whatever works best for you and makes you happiest......

I'm glad you bring this up, and would love to hear specifically what literature you're referring to. I strongly disagree with a lot of Western PUA advice and literature, especially the more hardcore "Red Pill" / "MRA" type guys. There are some guys who go around lashing out as women and using this type of men-first belligerence as a substitute for real, controlled masculine energy. Not only is Western PUA material ineffective in Japan, it's often aggressive and uncalibrated. I personally think a fully honest approach is not only the most ethical, but also the most brutally effective.
In agreement about this. Your strategy should be calibrated to the environment, location, culture, and country that you are in. Tokyo isn't New York, London, or even Okinawa.

You and I both know that game. We can easily always pull material that supports our point of view. So rather that route, I'm saying use the tool or method that is best for you.

True enough, but to be clear, the link I gave above to the academic study on PUA was not chosen because it supports my view. In fact, having not read it (still), I don't know which of our views, if either, it supports. I just thought it might be of interest. Glancing through it *very* quickly, it looks like they look at the correlation of some sort of personality test or attitudes toward men/sex among women with the likelihood of their responding favorably to PUA etc. Sounds like the material would be of interest to a PUA...to the extent that it is valid.

As you say, it is easy enough to cherry pick negative material on PUA (or whatever) if you go looking for it. For example, here is a link to an article in a major British newspaper:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/12/pua-pick-up-artists-julien-blanc-dapper-laughs

-Ww

Hmm, there are downsides. I suppose the largest being the time investment but for myself I can't really imagine any other way. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Fwiiw, that isn't PUA's biggest downside imo, not even close, but once more I'll leave my view of the downsides for a thread of its own someday, if I ever get around to it.

Re alternatives, I find it sad that you say "for myself I can't really imagine any other way". I also find it hard to believe; you really can't even *imagine* any other way you could have a satisfactory (to you) social/sexual life (or whatever you'd want to call your connections with women) than PUA...seriously? If so, I guess you are lucky that you didn't live before all of these bootcamps and PUA "systems" and so forth were invented!

Do you find it strange then that there are tons of men (including lots in your general age and income ranges) who somehow manage a rich and satisfying social/dating/sexual life without any training or system or devoting thousands of hours to self-conditioning (in the social sense) etc? They manage it without thinking of meeting and dating and seducing women as some sort of special skill or major challenge. They just do it by natural instinct and personality and casual role modeling of the adult world they see around them as they grow up. They do it the same way they make and have friends and the same way they handle their connections with their families and work colleagues and classmates etc. They probably even pick-up women sometimes, though cold street pick-ups are quite rare for the general population no doubt.

Part of what I am saying is that imo it is precisely *because* you put meeting and connecting with women into some sort of special category, to regard it as some sort of particularly difficult and challenging part of life, that it becomes exactly so for you. In other words, I strongly suspect that the PUA outlook increases the problem that it then proceeds to help you solve (at the cost of a lot of your time and possibly a good deal of your money).

Again I don't want to hit this topic from a spiritual or personal growth topic too much at this point, but I can't resist briefly pointing out that a major theme/insight in Buddhism (particularly zen) is that putting great effort and focus and concentration into trying to do something (meditation or archery or koans or breathing deeply, to name a few famous examples) can make it almost impossible to accomplish. However, when you finally stop trying and just do it mindlessly, it is easy and natural...literally effortless.

So, I don't have anything special to offer to "enlighten" you, as you put it, except to say that there is no need to make meeting and seducing women some sort of special focus of one's life. Just let it happen.

Please don't come back with "Go and get rich and then pay for sex."

Indeed, I won't. And I think p4p has its own set of major downsides as the main source of one's sex life and connections with women, especially when you are young and still getting started in this aspect of adulthood. It can (as @Solong puts things) sometimes help inexperienced guys who are nervous about their sexual performance or even about getting undressed in front of a woman or talking to women intimately get past those newbie jitters, but that is neither what p4p is about for the most part nor is it the way the vast majority of guys build up a little initial self-confidence as a sex partner.

In general I think it is a tad silly how we (all, including me) have been drawn into talking as though p4p and PUA are the two primary options available to men who want to have women in their lives. That's absurd; neither is even one of the more important (statistically I mean) alternatives.

A recent review of a health provider was billed at 100,000JPY. I typically like to have sex 4 nights a week minimum. Multiplied by 4 weeks a month and that equals roughly 1,600,000, or about half of the yearly salary of an entry-level Japanese salaryman for one month of sex. I was going to go into a drawn-out calculation of this, but neither I nor you care that much realistically since neither of us is really going to change our ways.

I'm pretty sure that you are talking about this http://www.tokyoadultguide.com/threads/a-long-awaited-date-with-j-blair.9598/ review of @User#16452. Right? I just wanted to point out that what you say is very much of a straw man objection. It would be like saying most people (or most "entry-level Japanese salarymen") can't afford to eat in restaurants because they can't afford to eat in Michelin 3-star restaurants at least 4 nights a per week (or every night...most people want/need to eat more often than they want to have sex!). Or it would be like saying that someone can't travel by air because they can't afford First Class seat airfares. Etc. @User#16452 is one of the best and most expensive independent escorts (which isn't the same as DH btw), arguably the best imo, working in Tokyo currently. I doubt anyone will be seeing her multiple times per week; even multiple times per month would be rare probably. In short, if some "entry-level Japanese salaryman" wanted to have a purely p4p sex life (a bad idea imo), he would surely use much much lower cost options.

In short, if you are significantly strapped for time (presumably you work really long hours or have other large, very important time commitments like a family) AND make a significant amount of money, then yes,mongering is the right choice! (y)

If you are still single, have a lot of time you are wasting on other activities which don't provide growth/value (like watching TV/movies, playing video games, mindlessly getting drunk, other "entertainment", etc), or if you don't have buckets of cash lying around then it's likely more effective and valuable to spend your time doing pickup. Basically I don't see successful, time-crunched, wealthy, married guys as the ones who are going to get into pickup, obviously. So one thing to consider in these debates is that guys who:

-have time
-don't have lots of money
-take their self-improvement seriously

are going to be fundamentally at odds with guys who:

-don't have much time
-have lots of money lying around
-don't particularly care about improving with women

And that's not a bad thing! Different stages of life. Of course, if you're older and have a career you should generally have a lot more spending money and perhaps even a wife/family. You guys aren't the ones who "pickup" is marketed at, just like younger guys who can get laid anywhere, anytime aren't the one's the delivery health industry is targeted at either. I think its important to keep this in mind - many differences of opinion here are due to these factors.

I agree with this and think it quite sensible...and much more productive than going down the "I'm right and you're wrong" path or the "One's good, and the other's bad" route. So, fine.

But just because we're at different places in life with different goals doesn't mean we should be throwing mud or getting into personal attacks - that's just childish.

I agree with this too, but I also don't think discussing the downsides of PUA or p4p should be seen as "throwing mud or getting into personal attacks". That, also, is childish. If we have a forum devoted to PUA/nampa with many posts strongly advocating and praising it, isn't it only sensible for the forum to also have posts pointing out its considerable (imo) disadvantages and downsides. If you go to forums discussing p4p, on TAG and elsewhere, you will definitely find discussions of p4p's also considerable (imo) problems and disadvantages.

-Ww

Reactions: John Chavers
Do you find it strange then that there are tons of men (including lots in your general age and income ranges) who somehow manage a rich and satisfying social/dating/sexual life without any training or system or devoting thousands of hours to self-conditioning (in the social sense) etc? They manage it without thinking of meeting and dating and seducing women as some sort of special skill or major challenge. They just do it by natural instinct and personality and casual role modeling of the adult world they see around them as they grow up. They do it the same way they make and have friends and the same way they handle their connections with their families and work colleagues and classmates etc. They probably even pick-up women sometimes, though cold street pick-ups are quite rare for the general population no doubt.

You're totally right! Men and women have been successfully having sex for millenia! If not, we wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, recent socialization patterns have raised a generation with weaker male role models each successive generation. For most men today, growing up with a satisfying abundance of women simply isn't the case. You can see here:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...number_of_sexual_partners_low_average_or.html
That the average millenials are slated to have 8 sexual partners on average for life. 8. Think about that for a second and think if that is a satisfying number to you. I know it's not for me. Yes, men usually end up with A woman. Often it is from nearby your social circle or work, and they are often not your ideal women. My question is what's wrong with trying to improve your situation? I wasn't naturally born into having the social skills and ability to have sex with as many and as attractive social partners as I wanted (and again, if you have vastly more than 8 sexual partners, which it seems like you have had, then of course PUA might not appeal to you). So, I had to study it.

If someone studies Napoleon Hill or Dale Carnegie to improve their business skills, I'm sure you wouldn't look down on them. If they read autobiographies of people who inspire them, like Nelson Mandella or Malcolm X or whoever it may be, you wouldn't look down on them or tell them to "just let it happen". Why is trying to improve yourself based on the wisdom of people who have been there before you suddenly toxic, ineffective, unhealthy, and evil if the goal is success with women? It just doesnt make sense to me.

Furthermore, PUA is a young field, but all those techniques you describe as "natural instinct and personality and casual role modeling" are exactly what PUA teaches. This is in stark contrast to the opposite approach of "stay in your house and play video games and hope a woman comes to you".

there is no need to make meeting and seducing women some sort of special focus of one's life. Just let it happen.

Yes, this is true. At a certain point you can "just let it happen", but as I've discussed before here and in other threads, most guys aren't naturally attractive to women. In short, you have to unlearn a lot of negative beliefs, solidify your body language and communication patterns, make communicating with attractive women normal and fun, learn how to lead things to sex, and THEN you can "just let it happen". If you "just let it happen", most guys end up with those 8 women. Weeeeeeee....

I also don't think discussing the downsides of PUA or p4p should be seen as "throwing mud or getting into personal attacks"

Oh the rational, intellectual debate (downsides included) is quite fine and dandy! I have no problem with 95% of what's been said. I was referring to this:

You should read more and post less.

the insinuation that I should not post much (where my posts are much less volumous in comparison to Solong and WWs). This is a free board, and I'm not sitting on here trolling or throwing out short, meaningless, or aggressive posts, which is more than can be said for a lot of people on here, so I'm not sure why the need for personal attacks.

And the constant mention that I am somehow a "snake oil" salesman. Other people (like the lovely User#16452 who you mention) are generally acknowledged to be selling a legitimate product or service. Whether the person himself wants to partake or not, of course is another matter. Somehow on this board there are a few people who have conflated the two issues. I respect if people don't feel the need for themselves to take any sort of behavioral coaching, but that doesn't mean it is inherently a scam or useless. I would gladly refer you to any person who has taken it and you can talk freely with them about it (PM me if you are interested). In short, if you have no interest in the product, no need to take it. Also, no need to call it a scam when you simply have no interest in it.

If these things are true (they all seem like very modest claims to me):

-The natural, socialized state of most modern men is not their most attractive state
-It is possible to improve at meeting, attracting, and keeping women
-It is possible to teach this skill

Then there is no reason to think it is scammy at all. I mentioned this already, but one characteristic of scams or snake-oil salesmen was that they left town before their wares were discovered to be false. Well, in teaching over 100 people we have never had someone request their money back or write a negative review. The reviews are, of course, on a different site (Japanlair), but you are welcome to find them and look at them if you are doubtful. Further, I'd like to mention that I am in no way aggressively pushing products on anybody here. In fact, I have said I do not recommend it to specific people on this board - about two or three - far more than I have said I do recommend it - which is never. I've also said that you can do it all for free by yourself if you so desire (it might take a lot longer, but it IS free after all). Anyone can go out on the streets, clubs, cafes, etc, and talk to women for free. So since there's nothing pushy or phony about what I'm doing I'd appreciate if the "snake oil" comments stopped. Doubt, of course is natural and understandable. I'll accept doubt ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Solong
wc -l < sinapse_post.txt
SIGABRT

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudsy and DJV
And the constant mention that I am somehow a "snake oil" salesman. Other people (like the lovely User#16452 who you mention) are generally acknowledged to be selling a legitimate product or service. Whether the person himself wants to partake or not, of course is another matter. Somehow on this board there are a few people who have conflated the two issues. I respect if people don't feel the need for themselves to take any sort of behavioral coaching, but that doesn't mean it is inherently a scam or useless. I would gladly refer you to any person who has taken it and you can talk freely with them about it (PM me if you are interested). In short, if you have no interest in the product, no need to take it. Also, no need to call it a scam when you simply have no interest in it.

If these things are true (they all seem like very modest claims to me):

-The natural, socialized state of most modern men is not their most attractive state
-It is possible to improve at meeting, attracting, and keeping women
-It is possible to teach this skill

Then there is no reason to think it is scammy at all. I mentioned this already, but one characteristic of scams or snake-oil salesmen was that they left town before their wares were discovered to be false. Well, in teaching over 100 people we have never had someone request their money back or write a negative review. The reviews are, of course, on a different site (Japanlair), but you are welcome to find them and look at them if you are doubtful. Further, I'd like to mention that I am in no way aggressively pushing products on anybody here. In fact, I have said I do not recommend it to specific people on this board - about two or three - far more than I have said I do recommend it - which is never. I've also said that you can do it all for free by yourself if you so desire (it might take a lot longer, but it IS free after all). Anyone can go out on the streets, clubs, cafes, etc, and talk to women for free. So since there's nothing pushy or phony about what I'm doing I'd appreciate if the "snake oil" comments stopped. Doubt, of course is natural and understandable. I'll accept doubt ;)

The main body of the post from which this is taken raises questions that seem too subtle and complicated to take up here (such as why it may be easier and more effective to let something happen than it is to try to make it...matters better addressed over a beer or something), but I do feel like I can explain why PUA is being compared to "snake oil" etc by some guys. I also can see why this bothers you and that the distinctions you make in the above quote may be important ones...thus it seems worth explaining.

Imo and for me at least, the reason is not that I know enough about PUA to conclude that it is ineffective, rather it is the way, the style, the "look and feel" of how PUA is being promoted and advertised/sold that makes me (and many of us) think of scams and snake oil. It has that "too good to be true" ring of advertisements for products sold on cable channel infomercials or of promises by street touts for their clubs or of sales pitches for cheap land in Florida etc. Fantastic promises are made or amazing stories told which imply that anyone would be a total idiot not to try it or buy it or whatever. I mean, think about it. Go read your own bootcamp ad on TAG. The promise is that not only can you have all the fantastic sex you could ever want with 100s of women of all and any kind but that it will also make everything else about your life better...and all this to be accomplished by a weekend's worth of training and for a modest fee...or even for free. It simply doesn't appear intuitively plausible. It also has the ring, the look and feel, of some sort of religious cult pitch.

There are many many people in the world promoting or pitching things that seem too good to be true, and those who have been around the block a few times (including almost all TAGers) have by now that learned that they simply aren't (true). That's just what it sounds like. Maybe PUA is the real thing and actually does both provide you with endless hot women to bed and at the same time get your laundry cleaner, but if so, it needs a better ad agency...one that doesn't crank out those late night TV infomercials for an endless string of miracle products ("Not available in stores! Operators standing by to take your call!").

You mention @User#16452 as a point of comparison. If she were claiming that a session with her would change you into such a great lover that no women who went to bed with you would ever leave you voluntarily or that you'd subsequently be able to write best selling novels or even that it would be the best sex you'd ever have in your life no matter who you are, TAGers would be no less skeptical of her. But all she is saying is that she will be your companion and p4p sex partner for X amount of time if you give her Y amount of yen...pretty much what all escorts do and thus totally plausible and believable.

Another way of putting this is that if PUA were truly as great and magical as its proponents claim, it would already be well known to and embraced by nearly everyone. There would be no need for anyone to be working so hard to promote and sell it. It would be like ice cream or smart phones or oral sex or Star Wars movies etc.

-Ww

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegger and just4fun
Maybe if it was called something different than PUA it would be a "cleaner" sell? If sex wasn't the main focal point (but sex sells I know) then.......hey......I'm just throwing out what's in my head. I'm not a very trusting person (for many reasons) so when someone tells me that "This is it" then I always look for the reasons it's not.

Maybe if it was called something different than PUA it would be a "cleaner" sell? If sex wasn't the main focal point (but sex sells I know) then.......hey......I'm just throwing out what's in my head. I'm not a very trusting person (for many reasons) so when someone tells me that "This is it" then I always look for the reasons it's not.
PUA just means Pick Up Artist. It's like saying if Martial Arts or a Martial Artist were called something else, you would respect it more.

PUA is dealing with sex, in terms of effectiveness. Just like if you went to a Kick-Boxing school and they were talking about KOs. It's not the only thing Kick-Boxing is about, as it's about footwork, defense, training, etc... PUA isn't only about sex, but about the plans and methods. Furthermore, sex is what consumates relationships in most people's mind. It's like a how people would look at a Kick-Boxer that have ZERO KOs or losses all of his fights, they would argue his system isn't effective. Same with PUA. They are talking about how effective their method is or can be.

Plus, you choose what you want to do. Unlike P4P, PUA can be free and a matter of choice: develop your own system, borrow or buy methods from others, or pay a coach.

If a guy feels he is completely incompetent with women or doesn't want to take his time to talk with them, then he is free to buy prostitutes. Nobody is trying to block your choice to buy women, so a monger shouldn't be worried about if a guy uses or likes PUA. Think about it. The only people worried about PUA, would be people with a vested interest to limit the options of others. P4P or PUA, do as you like.

(such as why it may be easier and more effective to let something happen than it is to try to make it...matters better addressed over a beer or something)

Well I do like a good beer :)

Go read your own bootcamp ad on TAG. The promise is that not only can you have all the fantastic sex you could ever want with 100s of women of all and any kind but that it will also make everything else about your life better...and all this to be accomplished by a weekend's worth of training and for a modest fee...or even for free. It simply doesn't appear intuitively plausible.

Right, I agree it seems to promise quite a bit. But it's never going to be fixed with one weekend. The weekend is a boost, a turbo charge, a kick in the ass to fix the largest and most prominent issues that otherwise might have taken you months or years. After that is when the real battle begins - internally. If a guy doesn't have discipline and the ability to repeatedly put himself in situations which might be harmful to the ego, you can bet he won't succeed at pickup. He has to be prepared to get knocked down into the mud again and again, and keep getting back up. This is not something I can teach at all. But I can motivate guys. I can show them and tell them that if they keep getting back up and keep putting themselves out there seemingly only to be knocked down in the mud again, that they will come out the end better for it.

The points I want to get across to guys who would consider a bootcamp is:

-No matter how good or bad you are with women, you can improve if you work hard and don't give up
-You are not categorically different from guys who succeed with women (this is HUGE.. most guys have "given up" or are at a loss for what to do, or think they are "Destined" to fail with women.. that is "too late" for them or that they should just "settle".)
-Learning from someone who knows how to do it well can shave a lot of time off your learning curve

The main problem is that guys believe that there is something wrong with them and that they can't attain success with women. And yes, "letting it happen" is a valuable piece of advice, but let's not confuse that with "doing nothing" which is usually what guys are doing anyway. In other words, guys have tried the whole "letting it happen" thing for their whole life usually, and it doesn't work. You DO have to put a lot of concentrated effort into it for a while. In the end it does get to a point where putting too much effort into it will hold you back, but realistically very few guys are at a place where this is beneficial to begin with.

I do honestly believe that pickup and self-reflection is one of many ways to seriously improve all areas of your life - if for no other reason than women won't want much to do with you until you have your shit handled. In other words, women are the ultimate, harshest feedback possible for a man - which is why so many are afraid of them. Women, through their rejection give you the real feedback that even your closest friends aren't able or willing to, and they shine the light on your mental and behavioral weak points. Most guys can improve their fashion, health, fitness, diet, social skills, career, body language, voice tone, and conversational ability. Approaching women merely provides the catalyst and feedback you need to fix those areas.

Whether or not you believe pickup in particular can have that broad of an effect is up to you, but I've seen it in action countless times. This isn't to say that guys don't fall off the path and into some dark places - the road is fraught with peril which is very real. You can end up treating women like stepping stones, notches, or objects. You can neglect your health and other friendships if you go out to environments with lots of alcohol and smoke and bad food. You can get creepy and weird if you apply your "gamey" behavior in situations where it shouldn't be present, like on friends' girlfriends or people who you shouldn't be hitting on. There are very real and dark traps. BUT if you continue down the path, and have someone who can give you a kick in the butt if you start going into dark waters, I really do believe that pickup in specific, and self-improvement in general can be a huge asset to your life. Not everyone who gets into self-improvement gets into pickup, but nearly everyone who gets into pickup gets into self-improvement. I merely bundle the effects of both together because most people start with "I want to get laid" and end with "I want to become a better man". If you think about Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the "need to get laid" is on a lower, thus more fundamental level. Appealing to both levels (desire for sex AND desire to improve oneself) ensures that both people starting from scarcity and abundance are clear as to the benefits they will receive.

tl; dr, in short, the ads are worded that way because they are demanding deep, identity-level change and wrestling with very serious mental limitations like "I am fundamentally different / too old / too ugly /not rich enough / something else unchangeable to get women". I simply want to shift that thought to "It is possible for me to improve with women". That is my goal. Whether or not they sign up, thats up to them because it is a very personal decision and it is not for everybody. I'd much rather have 2 very dedicated and ready to learn students who will implement the changes than 4 students who aren't going to stick with it, even though it would mean more profit for me that way. Everybody has the capability to improve but not everyone has the drive. And that's a personal question.

If you have any ideas for abetter way to get that across, I'm all ears

Yeah, this is a good point. I try to avoid calling it "PUA" as much as I can on my own site and in my material because it conjures up a nasty image in my own mind as well - I would really not like to be thought of in the same breath as RSD Julien or Roosh V, and certainly not in the same category as "negging". There are a lot of questionable things that happen under the banner of PUA, I'll admit that for sure.

Any other ideas? I think "life coach" sounds annoying and guru-ish. Dating sounds like sitting in a restaurant.. not sure what else there would be.

Last edited: